is this ok? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

is this ok?

I know carrots are considered a "sweet" vegetable, and have 2g of sugar for a serving (14 baby carrots I think) I guess I have a couple questions. How much sugar is too much? Can I give them whole grain oatmeal (and I mean a few flakes) w/ 1g of sugar? How often are these to be given.

I guess I'm asking because I just got 2 degus from a shelter. They have very little socializtion and I'm trying to get them to like me (or at least tolerate me) I've found that if I get a little tiny sliver (and by tiny I mean about half the size of one strand that comes in a salad) they will come out of their cage for me. Is this too much sugar for them? Can I do this daily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah I think once or twice a day is okay. you can also use cut apples

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Carrots are ok once or twice a week, i give my guys fresh once a week and they also have dried carrot as a treat. Porridge oats are fine too as long as they are 100% rolled oats with nothing else added, the only cereals i would ever consider giving my guys are shredded wheat, i give them half a bite sized one each once a week (sometimes twice) and i also use puffed wheats too. There are lots and lots of different treats you can give them and veggies too so they could have something different every day

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:39 AM

I give them grape nuts for a treat and that is what i used to train them so
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:41 AM

as long as they dont eat them all day its ok just a bite or two a day shouldn't hurt them and when you get them tame don't give them bad stuff at all cause thier gonna come to you no matter what you give em
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:42 AM

my degus go nuts for grapenuts thats why they tamed so fast i think
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, but degus bodies cannot tolerate a lot of sugar and fats so if you keep on giving them bad stuff over time they can become diabetic. Its much better to vary your treats and mix healthy stuff in with things such as seeds and nuts etc.... They tend to see anything you give them outside of their normal food as a treat

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Carrots are fine in small amounts . I use both fresh and dried carrot slices as treats daily.

I don't recommend feeding any fruit or seeds. Small amounts of nuts and sugar-free cereals are ok once in a while, too.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 PM

I give mine a sunflower seed as a treat, but they also loved puffed wheat and rolled oats, so those work.
I give them romaine lettues, and parsley some fresh grasses for daily treats, I really try to avoid 'sweets' the best I can, just to be on the safe side.
I've given mine carrot many twice in 6 months.

Tags
rolled oats, shredded wheat