picky eater! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

picky eater!

hi low!! well lemmewinks my new/old degu isa VERY picky eater all he eats is his pellets???!!! And then you look at fuzzy..

Do you know how i can get him to eat more he is really skiny!!
( fuzzy loves leduce and fuzzy was eating some so lemmewinks tried som but didnt eat it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If he's skinny maybe you can try giving him a little alfalfa hay (not too much, though). I assume he does eat hay, right?

I would just keep offering different vegetables...eventually I bet he'll try something he'll like . Some degu favorites seem to be parsley (mine don't really like it, though), romaine lettuce, carrots, and sweet potatoes (the skin is toxic so be careful). Mine also enjoy brocolli and celery but I don't give those as much.

Oh, and to give you an example on how their tastes can change...my degus never liked cucumbers. In fact, they hated them. But today I tried again and Rosie has decided she loves them now!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Have you tried feeding him a guinea pig mix along side the pellets, it might give him a little more interest and encourage him to eat more.

Try them with different veggies and its more than likely if he sees Fuzzy eating it he will give it a go. Degus can be picky though and not all like fresh veggies

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Have you tried feeding him a guinea pig mix along side the pellets, it might give him a little more interest and encourage him to eat more.

Try them with different veggies and its more than likely if he sees Fuzzy eating it he will give it a go. Degus can be picky though and not all like fresh veggies
Yep, my boys will rarely eat the fresh veggies I give them. Today I tried to give them sweet potato for the first time but they went out of their way to avoid it, lol. Every now and then they'll nibble on a carrot or eat a little piece of lettuce but they just don't like fresh vegetables. I keep trying though just in case they decide to start eating them
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!! And we do have atleast three diffrent kinds of pellets at home including guinea pig pellets.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:58 AM

mine are picky... they wont return to anything thats not the vitakraft degu mix anymore... they turn their cute little noses up at it!!

and theyre very specific on veggies...

i think it depends on what they are given from birth maybe?!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If they won't eat fresh veggies try dried. Basil my eldest won't eat anything that looks remotely fresh yet he loves his dried veggies and they are just as good as fresh ones for them

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
alfalfa hay, guinea pig, guinea pig mix, guinea pig pellets, romaine lettuce