pine? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

pine?

ive been lookming at the past threads and websites because i just bought pine wood chips. seems 2 me that its mixed opinions on using pine woodchips... is there a difference between kiln pine and pine? ive never heard of kiln pine before and thought it would be the same as the regular pine bedding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unlike some of the other small animals pine is more suitable for Degu's simply because a lot of other woods such as cedar are toxic to them and should be avoided at all costs. Kiln dried pine is deemed one of the safer woods for use around Degu's. Kiln dried refers to the drying out process it goes through so kiln dried is wood that has been dried out by being baked so to speak. A lot of the pine you get in wood yards is kiln dried (well over here in the UK anyway) so your wood chips should be too!

I use kiln dried pine shavings myself and have done with great success for the last 7 years with Degu's. The mixed opinions come from the fact that wood chips can sometimes cause respiratory problems in a few Degu's. But a lot of people do use them with great success. You have to be so careful with Degu's as a lot of woods can be toxic to them so pine is deemed the safest option

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:28 PM

I agree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:21 PM

Hi. This is a strongly debated topic, and I've heard lots of 'arguments' one way or another. Here's an article about it you may find interesting:

http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html

Kiln-dried is reportedly safer, and an easy check to make is the smell of your pine shavings. If they smell strongly of pine, then they still have a lot of the phenols present in them which can be damaging to your degus. The best thing to do is research and then make an informed decision yourself.

Aspen is thought to be safer, if you're unsure.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I personally use Aspen, because of the reports of problems with pine.

But it's hard to find a solid answer since this is a topic with many mixed views.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

ya.. so many mixed opinions. i went to the site of the brand i have and it says its chemical free and kiln dried so i feel alittle better about using it as bedding now. i may try aspen in the future if i start seeing problems with my degus but so far so good. im just glad i didnt end up getting the cedar bedding. thx guys

Tags
dried pine, dried pine shavings, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pine bedding, pine shavings