Please help me! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Please help me!

I have a degu and when he got loose and when I was trying to catch him I ment to grab his body and he jolted out and I grabbed his tail and his tail fell off but it was only like the fur and the first couple of layers of skin so there is still tail on what should I do I feel so bad and I don't want him to be in pain at all. So please someone help me!

<3 my man
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Newborn Pup

Hi. I copied this from the degu site:
"Important Note about Degu Tails
Never grab or try to pick up a degu by the tail. They can easily lose part of their tail and have a messy injury as a result. Shedding their tail is probably a natural defense of wild degus to escape if caught by the tail."

If this happens to a degu, you should get it to a vet for a check-up.
Usually they bite some of the remaining tail off, to prevent blood loss.
Or so I have heard.
Oh, poor goo I feel sorry for him.
I hope he gets better soon.
And, don´t beat yourself up about what happened, it was an accident, and those happen. I have met goos with broken tails, and they still can live a happy goo life But it somehow affects their balance, though, but they will survive I hope I was of some help to you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you for all your help. That helps a lot. I felt so bad cuz he's only 6 weeks old so when i opened the cage he was all like freedom. He's doing ok. And he still loves me so I'm happy for that.

<3 my man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Friend to All Animals

i would separate him from some of the other degus that you may have so you can keep an eye on him
keep him in a smaller cage and try not to let him move around a lot until his tail is well and healing good
make sure you keep his cage VERY clean, since he is a rodent and he will probably be dragging his tail around, you don't want feces and other stuff to get stuck on the tip of his tail... use towels for bedding for now to prevent loose litter from sticking to the healing wound
check his tail twice a day- once in the morning as you're waking up and before you go to bed to check for infection and to maintain proper hygiene... make sure it stays super clean and keep it washed off, you could even try putting Neosporin on the wound to help it heal properly
watch his food and water intake to make sure his "owwie" isn't affecting his regular behavior, make sure you are feeding him a healthy diet, and keep it low-key for him (little handling, little moving, low noise level)- just keep it low-stress for him so he can stay happy and healthy while it heals... if he is depressed or stressed his tail will not heal as fast
if at any point his tail begins to look swollen, oozes some weird pus, or overall, just looks infected, OR if he isn't eating and drinking regularly, take him to the vet.... infection in such a small animal would kill him quickly and only a vet would be able to provide proper help to an animal with an infected wound...
just keep a sharp eye on him and watch his behavior

~ Proud mommy of rabbits, rodents, and a dog ~
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Friend to All Animals

after his tail has healed, i would continue to attempt socialization with him, since the last thing he probably recalls is being picked up and feeling pain, he will be wary of being handled again... but don't feel too bad if it was just an accident

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you I'll do all that right away all I want is for him to get better and don't feel any the only time he squeels is when someone steps on it so I'm gonna put him in a different cage and keep is super clean thank you so much HomeworkCrazy

<3 my man

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Friend to All Animals

no problem i hope everything works out ok for him

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Newborn Pup

That´s good to hear, I hope he recovers quickly
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well his tail is doing good and so is he.

<3 my man

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Newborn Pup

So good to hear that ^-^
I wish you and your goo the best
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you

<3 my man

Tags
degus, tails