Please Help! New Degu Owner! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Please Help! New Degu Owner!

My friend gave me her Degu and he is doing very well on his own....BUT I really want him to have company because i can't pay attention to him all the time. I called all the local pet stores and they do not have any Degu's. I have been reading on these forums and found that Degu's can get along with Guinea Pigs...for I can not find any Chinchilla's either.

My question is: Can I buy a FEMALE guinea pig for my MALE degu and they will get along better than 2 males and not try to mate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 PM

i wouldn't get a female guinea pig for your goo if your goo does try to mate with her he would most likely get attacked its hard what to suggest in these situations because a degu is best paired with its own kind for one they dont eat the same food which could be a problem also their is no guarantee that they will get on then you have the added problem of having two animals alone. was your goo living alone when your friend had him?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Oh my dear, don't put goos with gp's. aside from injuries if they fight, they also have very different diets. i know you can find another goo if you search some online classifieds, i can sense it lol. try craigslist.org, or petfinder.com
i'm sure you can google for classifieds in your area, too! good luck!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You shouldn't ever put degus with anything other then their own kind, yes they may get along with other animals but its not the same as having their own kind as they don't communicate the same. It would be like you living with a monkey They don't just not communicate the same, they have different diets and different needs not to mention a guinea pig and chinchilla are also a lot bigger then a degu so injuries could occur.

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Last edited by atmospherebound; 03-04-2009 at 05:48 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

That really helps!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

OH

and yes, he was living alone when my friend had him. I am just so afraid of him getting lonely...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The best choice is another degu, a younger male would be the best option. How old is he and how long has he been alone? As sometimes if its a long time it can be hard to introduce another degu, give him lots of attention for now and see how you get along

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 PM

yeah just give him lots of attention for now until you can find a friend for him my 2 goos can't be put back together because they just fight like crazy so my attention is split between them they get alot more of my attention now they are apart they are spoilt
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Well I would say that he is about a year old i guess. My friend had him for a few months and I have just had him for less than a month...but he is medium-sized. Before my friend had him, he was in the pet store with his 2 brothers.. I went back to the pet store and someone had bought them....so should I get another Degu?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if you do get a degu friend for him you have to be careful with intros they have to be done slowly and you will need 2 cages for a while, look up other threads about intros of degus. I've never had them to be able to give you a step by step.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:20 PM

yes another degu is the best option for him yeah you have to be careful when introducing them do it slowly over time and do it in a neutral environment
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:38 AM

if you are going to pair him with another be prepared to spend alot of time the first few days constantly keeping an eye on them.... and do the intoduction slowly.... put the two cages next to eachother for a few weeks before u try to put them together.. let them get used to eachothers noises and smells first....
thats the best advice I have

I have one lonely goo who doesn't get along well with ANYONE...
keep in mind you might get stuck with two lonely goos.....

Tags
degus