Possible Injury? =/ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Possible Injury? =/

Yesterday I noticed a red mark below Rosie's nose. Today I got a closer look and I think it's some sort of scab or something. More then likely, it's from her chewing the wires (she chews on the wires when she wants attention or gets excited).

She doesn't appear to be in pain and is eating, drinking, playing, etc.

Could it get infected? What should I keep an eye out for?

It doesn't look that bad but I figured I'd ask you guys to see if any of you have had this problem or something...

Sorry I can't get a picture, she moves too much!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:03 PM

Just to be on the safe side maybe put some T Tree cream or similar on it, so that it does not get infected.. Keep an eye on it, if worried then go to your vets... Its probably just a minor scratch, but better safe than sorry.. Hope it gets better soon, hugs to Rosie and the guys..
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Just to be on the safe side maybe put some T Tree cream or similar on it, so that it does not get infected.. Keep an eye on it, if worried then go to your vets... Its probably just a minor scratch, but better safe than sorry.. Hope it gets better soon, hugs to Rosie and the guys..
I'll look for that at the health food store when I go in a couple of days (it's snowy and icy so I'm sure my mom won't really want to drive me tomorrow or anything). I'll also see if we have some already.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it looks worse or if she stops eating or something then I'll call the vet's.

Do you think there's a way I can get her to stop chewing the bars so it doesn't happen again? She isn't now (maybe because it hurts) but when it heals she might start again. They have a ton of wooden chews and toys and get plenty of a out-of-cage time so I don't know what to do. Hikaru and Ichigo don't chew the wires.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:13 PM

Mine do it sometimes too.. I think it because they are bored.. Just make sure they have plenty of things to play with and do (which I am sure you have done already).. Mine spend most of the time on their wheels, or snoozing in the hammocks..
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Mine do it sometimes too.. I think it because they are bored.. Just make sure they have plenty of things to play with and do (which I am sure you have done already).. Mine spend most of the time on their wheels, or snoozing in the hammocks..
Yeah, I think they have every degu-safe toy the petstore carries, hehe.

I think she does it because she sees me and wants to be let out but I can't always do that.

~Stephanie

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 PM

I have the same problem.. When I open the top door, Georgie jumps from it to my shoulder, she loves sitting on it... They are so attention seeking, always waiting for the doors to open so they can have a cuddle or treat...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I have the same problem.. When I open the top door, Georgie jumps from it to my shoulder, she loves sitting on it... They are so attention seeking, always waiting for the doors to open so they can have a cuddle or treat...
Yeah, it's funny because whenever I open the cage just to give them some hay or food all of a sudden I have three degus on me .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:24 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Yeah, it's funny because whenever I open the cage just to give them some hay or food all of a sudden I have three degus on me .
Well 4 not 3... Hehe
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Well 4 not 3... Hehe
One day I hope to have four as well!

I'm currently shopping around for a bigger cage . I really like yours, where did you get it?

~Stephanie

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:36 PM

I got it from a shop I saw on the internet.. There are some great cages I have seen on the net..
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I got it from a shop I saw on the internet.. There are some great cages I have seen on the net..
Ah, ok. I'll have to look around. I'm considering ordering online but alot of sites have ridiculous shipping charges.

Thanks .

~Stephanie

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 PM

Google then degu cages, brings up a lot of shops..
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Google then degu cages, brings up a lot of shops..
Thanks, I'm searching now.

So far, it seems most degu cages are in the UK, lol. Degus must be more popular there.

I'm going to try searching for chinchilla cages on ebay too (when I do a search for degu things it only comes up with stuff in the UK).

~Stephanie

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Thanks, I'm searching now.

So far, it seems most degu cages are in the UK, lol. Degus must be more popular there.

I'm going to try searching for chinchilla cages on ebay too (when I do a search for degu things it only comes up with stuff in the UK).
Umm I got that too...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Maybe a cage like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Level-Ferret-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Of course, I won't be getting one until after the holidays since right now I'm basically broke, lol.

~Stephanie

Tags
health food store, wood shavings