Possibly Mental Degu. Help. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Possibly Mental Degu. Help.

Ok so recently I added a new addition to my Degu family, my fourth one, whom I got from one of my friends. She told me no one in the house paid attention to it and she thought I would like to take it. She told me it was a boy, so I put it in the cage with the other males. When she first brought it to me I was concerned because it wanted nothing to do with human contact. It screamed and bit me pretty bad and seemed really scared. It didn't get along with my other degus and basically dominated all of them. I found out later that it was a female and my friend said it did have a buddy at one point but it died and she was left alone for a year. I separated her from the males and I'm basically concerned about her mental health. She screams if you try to get near her, doesn't drink much and they had her on bird feed which I don't think is good for them? I switched her to the diet I feed my boys and set her up in her own cage. I would just like some advice on what I should do because I don't want her dying because she's alone and I plan on getting another female soon, but will she get better? I try to pay attention to her as much as humanly possible so she's not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Playful Pup

just put your hand in the cage so that she gets used to your smell. Also, put treats like peanuts in her cage till she gets used to the fact you are "safe".
There is a great guide to taming "a nervy degu" at degutopia.co.uk
hope that helped

The Gang!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP MOJO
<3

The 'Goo's

The Terminator Fish~ Backwards Eddie
& more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Newborn Pup

Degu's need a lot of attention, trust me I got 10 degu's that I am trying to get rid of. If you can't get her out of the cage, try to get something to scoop her out and slide her on your hand. Hold her for a while to make her feel comfortable and at home. Clean her cage often so that she doesn't feel horrible and dirty. I would spoil her for a few weeks so that she is use to everything. Degu's like food with a variety of things in them. Don't for get to give her baths! Also giver her crackers, cabbage and carrots. Get a spacious bucket or something that she can run around in. I hope this helps, Good luck!

Tags
depression, female, mental