pregancy - behaviour changes in the female - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Another option if you didn't want to risk having the male neutered would be to seperate the degus and get the female a female friend and keep the male separate next to them so he can smell them still but not get at them! Either way if they are brother and sister they shouldn't be kept together so seperate them asap!

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
vic

thanks.... just have to wait it out I guess.....

Thank you. I will have to wait another couple of months to see if she is indeed pregnant.

I appreciate your help.

regards,
vic
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 AM

We have 3 degus... not my intention though, I purchased 1 degu at the petshop and ask for a male! for my youngest son's birthday in Feb. He loves this little creature and so do we!! Well... in April we woke up to 6 babies!! I was frantic! only because I had asked for a male degu! not what we got! soooooo I managed to give all but 2 away to loving homes! so now we have 3 degus...Mom, sister & brother... this was back in april remember....it has been 7 months and I don't see any sign of babies arriving.....they are really great with one another....a happy little family. I am a little concerned about one of the females getting pregnant but so far so good...the are wonderfully taken care of and get LOTS of attention!! brother and sister seem to always snuggle with one another, and Mom.... just off to the side.... or sometimes they will always be cuddled into this little ball.... We love these degus! they are a part of our family! I have contacted my vet to see if our male could get neutered they don't do that with degus and it is hard to find a vet that will because of such a high risk of loosing the poor thing... it is really hard to do and risky. so we said NOPE! not happening.... and really.... how do we know for sure if these degus always did this where they came from? they all have to be related somehow.... right? am I wrong?? Did anyone ever have degus have babies that had somethign wrong with them? Don't get me wrong I don't want mine to have babies... I am a wiii bit nervous....but I really would love to know the correct answer to this, not just what we all have read and been told, but from someone who knows their behaviour in the wild and how they breed and if in fact it is harmful IF they breed with family....

Tags
degu care, food bowl, gestation period, pet owner, pet shop, pet shops, responsible pet owner, responsible pet ownership, separate cages