pregnant degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

pregnant degu

well it appears that one of my degus is pregnant... is there any help or advice i should know about baby degus as ive never bred before and want the best for the little guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Why do you suspect your degu is pregnant? If it's because one of your other degus is male, she should be seperated from him. If you think she was pregnant to begin with then it's fine to leave her in the same cage as other females as they will help her with the birth and raising of the babies.

Gestation period is about 90 days, do you have any idea when she became pregnant? If she 'looks' pregnant (in other words, if she has a bulge) then she's probably due to give birth very soon.

Degu litters generally consist of about five babies but it's possible she will have more. They are born fully furred and with their eyes open.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

i suspect this because the females looking bigger then the other 2 males. im hoping she is because i know many people who want them. ive only had the female for alittle less then a month now so if she actually is pregnant should i wait till she gives birth 2 separate the males or is that 2 late? when they are born should i be prepared for cleaning them or do they take care of that themselves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 06:56 AM

You were planning on breeding? If you were, you should have done lots and lots of research beforehand (being concerned about your little pets) and not at the last moment .

Is she bigger all around or does she have a bubble belly? If she's pregnant then when she stands up you should be able to see her belly bubbled out. Also, you might be able to see or feel babies moving. To feel for the babies wait until she stands for a treat and lightly feel her belly don't pick her up. Is she starting to build a nest? Have you given her building materials (peices of papertowel, maybe cut up sheet, or other materials)? Let her build her nest in her spare cage.

As for separating them, I would do it now because she can become pregnant right after she gives birth (which is VERY harmful to your degu and it's babies), if you wait any longer moving her manually could hurt the babies (when you move her let her climb onto your hand don't grab her around the belly!), and it's almost impossible to know when exactly she will have the babies, most likely you'll wake up one morning and you'll see babies running around and squeaking. Is her spare cage baby degu proof? When the babies are born they're have hair and they're eyes are open (you won't have to clean them) and within an hour they're wandering around. My baby degus were climbing their cage at 1 day old and trying to escape.

Make sure her food and water are close by or on the same level as her nest because once she has her babies she won't have much time to travel around for food. Make sure her babies cannot fall in the water if it is in a dish because if they can they will! Also, make sure there isn't a wheel around. Remember, the babies will be climbing at like 2 days old so make sure there is nothing they can get hurt on even on higher levels of the cage.

Do not pick up the baby degus. When the babies are about a week old you can put your hand in their cage to climb on and get used to your smell, but don't move it or pick them up until they're a little older. If you rush it and pick them up it could harm them mentally.

There is so much to learn about breeding degus and it is hard to absorb it all in the little time you have. I really wish you had done research first if you were planning on breeding her . I'll post more info after you reply.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

the spare cage is my aquarium so there wont be anything for them too hurt themselves. i always give them building material so thats not a problem. dont get me wrong i have done my research as far as the degu sites allow. also wasnt expecting it so soon because i heard they can take a year or so before she could get pregnant. always good 2 hear from other people who have bred then site. i still beleive ive got at least a month left before the babies because that would be under 90 days from when she coulda got pregnant. do you think a low water dish would do? i might jus use a water bottle thing cause i do have 2 ... just have to figure out how 2 put it in the aquarium cause i wouldnt want them to drown.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

id also like to say that im not 100% sure if she is pregnant i think in about a week id know for sure. 2 me its almost common sense not 2 pick up the babies for alittle while ty for that info kandy i would be glad 2 hear more

Last edited by vinamp; 12-02-2005 at 05:30 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:00 PM

Heres a link to a previous thread..

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29713
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 03:07 PM

If you use a shallow bowl just check the babies a lot and make sure they aren't wet because they can't regulate they're body temperature when they're little. The babies are very curious thats why I'm mentioning it.

Let us know if you see another sign that she might be pregnant.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

alright thx will do. thx for that link, was very helpful.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Everybody has already given you good information. I just have a few things to add. Firstly how old is the female? As if she is young the labour could prove difficult and very stressfull for her? Secondly please seperate her from the two males as when the males reach sexual maturity (if they haven't already) they are more than likely to fight as one female for two males simply isn't enough. I think i read somewhere that for two males to live in a group with females you need at least three females per male degu and then its still risky. Male degu's can fight anyway over the smallest thing so imagine how they could react over a female degu in season. Thirdly are you sure she is pregnant as degus have a long gestation period (90 days) and tend to only show in the last week or so?

Please keep us informed as to how she is and goodluck

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

shes about im guessing about 4 - 5 months old. when i only had the 2 males they fought the same as they do now which is only over food and when they occasional get pissed off. they arent fighting any more then before so i dont think that thats a concern. maybe they havent reached sexual maturity yet but ill keep an eye on it.
ty
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Males reach sexual maturity at varying ages normally around the 6 month mark some before and some later. They might not fight now over the female but it could happen at any time especially when she comes into heat and when they fight they will fight. Males are more prone to fighting than females anyway so thats always something to bare in mind. They can sometimes seem ok and then all of a sudden **** breaks loose, i know as i've been there with two brothers one minute they was ok and the next they was ripping each other to shreads over a tiny piece of food Unless you wish to breed i would suggest seperating them and finding the female a friend of the same sex or if you wish to breed keeping the female with one male to ensure peace and quiet all round

Is breeding degu's something you are interested in?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

yea i am interested in breeding at least once rents not might like it after she has babies the first time so thats why i say at least

Tags
baby degus, gestation period