Protective degu? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Unhappy Protective degu?

My male degu, Hikaru, is strongly attached to me. When he's out of the cage he gets scared if he can't see me and he's contantly jumping on me and perching on my shoulder. He's also quite protective. When there's a stranger and he's with me he squeals at them...even if they had just been feeding him a treat and hanging out with him when I wasn't right there. He doesn't like it when strangers touch or go near me. Usually he gives a warning, such as squealing or hissing but today he didn't. My friend was over, whom he's never met and he was on my shoulder. He seemed a bit nervous, but not aggressive. Anyway, my friend walked over and he tensed up...but he didn't do anything. However, when they got closer (they were planning on petting him but hadn't actually touched him yet) he bit them and drew blood. He's only like this around me. Has anyone else experienced this with degus? (probably not)

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degus by nature can be funny around strangers my first two used to hate new people or people who they saw infrequently coming around they used to squeal and wheep and hide till they had gone. One of them Jerry was pretty much like Hikaru and wanted to be with me all the time, he used to sit on my shoulder most of the day and wanted tickling all the time, when i let them out Jerry used to sit on my knee while his brother Nipper used to run around. But I never experienced either of them biting anyone (apart from Nipper biting me ) The two i have now are totally different, new people don't bother them and they are tolerant of most things and don't want cuddling although I have found they pine for me when i go on holiday or i am away for a few days so they are very attached in a way

I think its rather sweet that he has this attachment to you as it shows the bound of love and trust he has for you and can only show the love and care you give to him

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle

I think its rather sweet that he has this attachment to you as it shows the bound of love and trust he has for you and can only show the love and care you give to him
Yes, it is sweet . I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I havent noticed my degus doing that.. Yes they love to sit on my shoulder, but they dont seem to do what yours does!
Remember to watch their teeth, I had a very sore finger when I first got Jeri and Mickie!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
I havent noticed my degus doing that.. Yes they love to sit on my shoulder, but they dont seem to do what yours does!
Remember to watch their teeth, I had a very sore finger when I first got Jeri and Mickie!
I know. They can bite so hard (Ichigo has bitten me)! Hikaru never bites me...just other people!

~Stephanie

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've only ever had one degu bite and that was Nipper and he was just plain evil, i used to let them out and he would walk by me and bite me then carry on doing what he was doing but all the others have all been placid they have the odd nibble like flea biting me when i've been tickling them but thats about it

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide