Ques on female that might be pregnant - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Ques on female that might be pregnant

I hope you remember my dilema about me wondering if the degu got pregnant or not during an introduction of what i thought(and told) was 2 males. So basically I need your help in helping me decide if she's pregnant or not.

So I've been monitoring the female Hazel(it's been about a month now since she was in contact with the male) and she does act alot different. She's definitly more tempered, she squeals when i try to pet her or pick her up(the type of guarding squeal she does to her room mate with the food bowl) and before she was very social, jumping on the cage bars tog reat me. She doesn't look fatter nor do her boobs look fatter. She is an avid nest builder though. Like when i put a peice of kleenex in for them to use for bebding, her roo mate Hope leaves it alone, ignores but Hazel will directly grab it and pull it into her dome which is already pretty packed to the max. If i were to lift up the dome, the inside dome shape of kleenex, newsletter, cotten hamster bedding all stays in tact lol.
Another thing that's worrying me if she's been putting her head at a tilt occasionaly. i have no idea what this could mean.
So please degu owners help a newbie .
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:18 PM

They generally don't start to show until a few weeks before they give birth, and Sage's teets weren't really visible until about a week or week and a half before her babies were born.

I've heard that being pregnant can make degus tempermental, but I don't know from experience because Sage was tempermental when we got her (they were over a year old and unsocialized). Nest building often is a sign of pregnancy as well. Some degus become less active (such as spending less time running in the wheel).

Degus are pregnant for three months, so she probably won't show any physically symptoms for at least another month.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I definately don't think she will show any physical signs to just before she gives birth which will be in around another two months but if shes changing temprament wise then it could be a sign that she is expecting and the hormones are taking effect. I'd just keep a careful eye on her, handle her less for the next 2 months and make sure shes getting plenty of good food down her to keep her levels up. And keep a general eye on her, monitor her activity as to whether she's slowing down or not and sitting around more. By the second month she should be starting to get slightly more rounded although some degu's don't show any signs of pregnancy at all. I'd also suggest that you prepare the cage in case she does give birth around the time of the second month as she could give birth at any time after that. I'd replace the cotton hamster bedding for a start with either tissue or soft hay or something like that as cotton hamster bedding can get caught on young babies feet and bodies and can cause injuries if not careful so best to be cautious. Also make sure they are confined to an area for the first few weeks as baby degu's can sometimes wander and this can stress both the babies and mother out and also its not good for them to be wandering too far from the nest as for the first few weeks they need the mothers warmth to help them grow properly and develop. So if you have a two tier cage try to confine them just to the bottom tier so you know they are all safe I can't think of anything else really at the moment but if you want any more advice or anything please feel free to pm me i'm always happy to help you

As for her putting her head on a tilt, how do you mean? As if shes listening or has she got her head like that for a period of time, i.e walking round like it etc...?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 05-11-2005 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

We'll she keeps her head slightly tilted for a period of time. She still eats fine and her companion has no symptoms of this. Just wondering what could be wrong, anything in the diet, bedding, etc????

Last edited by snowyangel; 05-14-2005 at 06:07 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Okay i just got back from my 4 days out of town and i got back home and she's looks alot worse. She now has her had at a constant angle, sometimes so much that she flips over. I'm very scared and dunno what could bring this on. Having head tilt could be a sign of what? Bad diet, inbreeding, a cold, wrong bedding, what? Any info would help. None of the other degus show any signs of this. I'm very scared now and not like us rescues are made of money to go to a vet everytime(she already had a vet check when we first got her). She eats still and runs on her wheel fine and she can turn her head the other way(i see her scratch her ears on both sides) just doesn't. I hold her and she's calm, her teeth are still a bright orange so I'm confused.
If you need a pic i can get one if it helps, but just think of it as she's always holding her head at a strong angle.

PLEASE HELP

Last edited by snowyangel; 05-15-2005 at 06:41 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:44 PM

I really done know what to suggest, apart from go and see a vet.. I have looked on the internet, but couldn't find anything..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm still trying to look aswell. When she was with the male, could his semen/spooge some how sicken her? We don't give our degus sand baths, could that be a problem?

Last edited by snowyangel; 05-15-2005 at 06:50 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:53 PM

Why dont you give them a sandbath? Mine have one every day..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:58 PM

The head tilt might be an ear infection. You should definitely go see a vet ASAP.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

We never knew it was a necessity for their health....... is it?
I did think ear infeciton aswell so i picked her up and felt her ears, even gently blew in them and she didn't squeal or pull back.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 PM

Well it does keep their coats in tip top condition, and also they love rolling in the sand..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Could no sand baths have caused this? What causes ear infecitons? Would it be wrong to treat for an ear infection just to be safe without knowing for sure?

I feel so guilty for the lil girl
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 08:00 PM

I had two rats that had a head tilt problem. The first one went to the vet, got a steroid shot and some antibiotics. Got better, then all of a sudden one night she had it back again. Unfortunately, she passed not long after that. Her head tilt was sudden and not gradual though, so we believe she had some type of stroke. The other one I took in as a rescue until I was able to find her a home of her own. She had the head tilt for weeks before I took her and I had her for a month and she was fine when she went to her new home. Someone mentioned that it could be a sign of a vitamin deficiency. But it could also be a sign of an upper respiratory infection or ear infection.

What type of bedding do you use? Certain types of bedding aren't good for them and can lead to upper respiratory infections. (Cedar is one that is bad for all small animals. I believe I read that pine is also bad for degus, but I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone else can answer that one.) From what I heard, if you want to use a wood based bedding, aspen is best, so that's what I use. Stuff like carefresh and other recycled newspaper beddings are also good, but more expensive than aspen.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for advice Corgimom.
Yes i know pine and cedar are bad for them. We use a combination of newspaper on the bottom then absorbing pellets over top.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Like Corgimom suggested i'd check your bedding as that could be a possible cause for the head tilt as i have heard of that before but my instincts tell me its more than likely going to be an ear infection of the middle ear thats progressively gotten worse. She is flipping over as her balance is off key. She really needs to see a vet for this and to be treated with a course of antibiotics and it should clear up, the worse case scenario would be it could leave her with a head tilt for life if not caught soon enough but she would still lead a good normal life if that did happen but like i say that is worse case and if caught soon enough she should be fine

As for the sand baths well they are key to a happy degu. Degu's need sand to keep their coats in good condition and also for them to moult properly as rolling loosens the fur and helps them shred their summer/winter coats. In the wild they would roll in dust and dirt in order to get the same effect. Its also a social gathering for them and they like to take turns and play in the sand and its a communal activity. Mine have sand baths in all the time and they use them whenever they want which is normally a few times a day

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 05-17-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Tags
cage bars, ear infection, food bowl, respiratory infection, respiratory infections, upper respiratory infection, upper respiratory infections