!!!!!!!!question!!!!!!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Question !!!!!!!!question!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all you degu breeders if any,I want to ask some sure signs to indicate Zoey about to give birth besides the fact that she will build a nest? 2) I took the hammock out because once again there were nesting matierials on it and I don't want our babies hurt so now the cage is pretty bare. One time I look at her and I say no shes not prego and the the next time I look at her it is so apparent. You know the others fluff their fur and the look huge but with Zoey shes huge all the time. even with fur down and I can actuall feel little appendages(arms/legs) on her sides, And have watched and observed her and they move. I'M So Excited I could scream!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 04:14 PM

she will more than likey get a bit antsy before she gives birth she wont be as affectionate and will refuse to come out of the cage, degus do get huge before birth and if you are seeing movement then she probably is more than likely pregnant! remember to remove the male as soon as she gives birth for at least 3 days and try not to disturb her too much for a few days but make sure she has enough food and water. its also not a good idea to handle her from now on if you think she is pregnant as degus can easily miscarry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 12:13 AM

Do you have other degu's in with her? If so the others (especially females) will usually groom and tend to the momma more than usual. I could usually tell whether or not my girls were pregnant just by their actions, they almost act like humans in that when someone is pregnant she is continually fussed over. Its really very cute to see degus when babies are on the way. If you put tissue in the cage do they all grab it right away and start dragging into the nest? Thats always a good sign. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If she's building a nest in the hammock then i would say its getting close, does she have a house or a nest box that she could build a nest in to give birth also? The general signs to look out for are her slowing down to her almost doing nothing as the pregnancy draws to its end and as Phawn said the other female she is with should be more attentive with her and also the nest building you have mentioned. Goodluck and i can't wait to see some pictures when they are born as baby degu's are the cutest

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
nest box