question about an itchy ear - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

question about an itchy ear

Hi guys!
I think my degu has been scratching one ear more than usual. She doesn't flinch or anything whrn I touch it, so its doesn't hurt her. But she does un around my room alot, maybe she's alergic to something. There is a little red spot on that ear...maybe a small bug bite? Should I stop letting her run around? My room is in the attic...and other rooms are not an option. She really likes being let out, I'd feel bad stopping, especially since she's alone. Is there a cheap treatment that would soothe it? A vet is not an option for me.
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

how long has it been itching? does it look dirty in it? i think if she was allergic to something in your room she would be itchy all over, or at least both ears... maybe it is a bug bite.. i guess you may be able to use a simple anti itch cream..

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It does sound like an insect bite from your description, i wouldn't really advise putting any creams on it as most are medicated and wouldn't do your degu any good if they licked them. You could try bathing it a few times each day with a cool camomile tea mixture, camomile is soothing and should stop the itching

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Actually...lately she's been itching all over...especially her legs. I think it must be allergies cause its her exposed skin that she's always scratching the most. But I don;t know what it is...can't be the bedding...its the same as always
And But the bathing think might work...I'll buy some as soon as I have money. (a couple days hopefully) I just don't want her to be uncomfortable, nor loose her running around freedom because of an itch!
Thanks for your suggestions! I appreciate it!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You might want to switch the bedding anyways just to see.

I had a degu who was on aspen shavings for over a year and then was suddenly allergic.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if you resently got a air freshener or candle or perfume that could be it too, or possibly if you changed you loundry detergent

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 05:59 AM

i'm not sure if you have this over there, but i buy "SPOT ON" for small animals (by Bob Martin) treatment for my degus as a first port of call if the itch lots, to avoid taking them to the vets unless necessary (as it stresses them out lots)

Bob Martin My Little Friend Spot On (Small Animal) 4 Week Other Health Products UK

that, combined with a sand bath in new sand, and a complete change of bedding usually sorts them.

x
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Cool Thanks guys! Yeah I finally got an actual dust bath house...figured it would nbe cleaner than the tery I've been using beside the cage (it gets really dirty)...but she refuses to use it!
But it DOES look like the itching's gone down...maybe it was just dry skin...MY skin was really itchy too. But if I don';t use aspen bedding...what SHOULD I use? Pine bedding? I know cedar's a nono.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniefaubert
Cool Thanks guys! Yeah I finally got an actual dust bath house...figured it would nbe cleaner than the tery I've been using beside the cage (it gets really dirty)...but she refuses to use it!
But it DOES look like the itching's gone down...maybe it was just dry skin...MY skin was really itchy too. But if I don';t use aspen bedding...what SHOULD I use? Pine bedding? I know cedar's a nono.
Although kiln dried pine is supposed to be ok I would actually suggest Carefresh or Yesterday's News. Most degus with allergies do fine with those...I use the latter .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i like carefresh for my rats and pig. although yesterdays news is neat too but i think it looks kinda like poo and people ask if it is... (they are non pet owners but in the litterbox it looks like a big pille of poo)

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I saw that carefresh stuff before...I was suspicious cause it was colored. And I wasn't sure what it was made of. That's funny that the other stuff looks like poo: I've NEVER seen that! lol
i'll try the carefresh for sure next time. especially now that I know its safe.
Thanks again!

Tags
aspen shavings, dried pine, dust bath, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet owner, pine bedding