questions - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The cages i have are all very simular to the Martins cages (but mine are made by a British company) and they make great homes for degu's. I have the four storey cages (simular to the chinchilla highrise) which are plenty big enough for two degu's or more but it also gives them plenty of space to be apart aswell. As for the wire floors well in mine they are all removable even the base had a wire floor (which i have taken out so just the metal base now) as for the other wire shelves i have covered them with carpet which they all love and sulk when its out for cleaning I have heard of other people using linoleum and plastic to cover the shelves too which are easy to clean so the problem of wire shelves can be got round quite simply. Some wire flooring doesn't hurt but over exposure to it can cause bumblefoot (i.e if they are living on wire all the time), mine have some wire flooring around their wheels and one of their ramps is wire and they are all fine its just if they are on it 24/7. Goodluck with whatever you decide

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:23 PM

We got our cage from a local guy who builds his own. He made it for sugar gliders, but it works just fine. Just don't get a cage with a plastic bottom. They will chew through it. Ours had a one inch hole half way around the side of our rat's cage, and they were only in it for a weekend (we were waiting for a cage to be ordered for us, but it was a plastic bottom cage, so we bought one the guy had made instead, even though it had a wire bottom. I'm just glad they proved they'd chew out before we spent $90 on the cage).
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

So a Martin's cage isn't going to be a good idea? They are plastic trays. Will they give me a metal tray instead?? Any other cage companies that make their cages with metal trays?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

A Martin's cage will be fine.The cage sits down inside the tray.Mine don't chew it as there is no way for them to chew out.However I did have a big cage that sit on top of a plastic tray and they did chew thru it.

post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Do Martins cages have plastic trays? I was sure someone told me they had metal bases either that or i'm losing my mind !? As long as they can't get to the edges of the plastic you should be fine its only when they can get their teeth onto it you will have problems so if the cage sits inside the tray they shouldn't be able to get at it to chew

Kirsty

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 08:06 PM

ditto about if the plastic tray is inside the cage, it should be fine. The cage I had them in that they chewed a hole in had an entirely plastic bottom. They were able to grip where the plastic met the metal bar/cage part. I put a pic of the cage, that I got from petsmart's site. And yes I know this cage is too small for degus. The cage belongs to my rat, Milo. I moved him into a smaller one (that I use to put my animals in while cleaning their cages) for the weekend so that they could stay in his while their cage was being ordered/shipped in. Fortunately, he's a major home body and hasn't even noticed that they started chewing.

This is the type of plastic bottom cage you don't want to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rat cage.jpg (19.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by corgimom; 05-15-2005 at 08:07 PM. Reason: to clarify
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Does anyone know where I can find Gertie guinea pig pellets? Does Petsmart have it?
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Over here in the UK they gertie guinea pig is available from most pet stores etc.... so i assume its pretty much the same over there too if thats any help

Kirsty

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:47 PM

If you have a Petsmart near you im sure they'll have some or they'd be able too order you some in as Amethystbelle said over here in the UK you can get them in most good pet shops and stores.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks guys, I did end up finding it at Petsmart, they just had it under a different name. Though through the window on the bag, it doesn't look like pellets??
Would it be bad to just feed Gerty instead of mixing with degu pellets? I can't find any sugar free chin pellets.
~Jenn
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:21 AM

I bought a wire cage and just lined the bottom with thick thick cardboard.....(my b/f works in a printing shop and gets these boards frequently). It prevents bumblefoot and they also chew the corners to bits keeping them busy. I moved mine from a tall 3 level wire cage to a long hutch and I must say that they have become more happier and friendlier in this hutch. I'm not completely sure why, I guess mine just love to run and scamper more than climb, although they still scale the side of the cage when it's treat time. To prevent the bedding being thrown everwhere we put up 2x6 wood boards surrounding the edges, it's good for chewing and keeps the mess in, also they have a little ledge to walk on too.

My b/f also put together what we call a jungle gym and put it inside....it's wood stacked together in all sorts of ways for them to run on and hide in. My degus chew everything so I don't have many toys for them. Boost's favorite pasttime is trying to take off the wheel that I have hanging off 's' hooks on the side of the cage - a good space saving idea. You wouldn't believe the amount of power these guys store in their muscles till you see her pulling on the wheel!

When I got them I fed them a mix of rabbit and chinchilla food and now for a change of pace given them guinea and chin food. They really don't like the guinea food very much though so I think I'm going to go back to rabbit, unless I can find degu food here (very rare).

It's great to see you doing all this research. We did the same and I bought a small book too that helped me decide if they were really for us. And we are always happy to help you out with any questions you have.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't ever recommend feeding your degu's rabbit food as rabbit food often contains a compound called Coccidistat that is extremely harmful to degu's and its not always listed on the label so you could be feeding it them without knowing so its always better not to feed rabbit food. Guinea pig food and pellets and a few chinchilla pellets are a lot better for degu's and a much safer and healthier diet than rabbit food

Kirsty

post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Really? I remember someone specifying rabbit food to me, I had no idea.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRAWLD
Really? I remember someone specifying rabbit food to me, I had no idea.
It's true scientific research has been done into it and most people advise against it and also rabbit food tends to contain more sugar than guinea pig food which is also bad for degu's

Kirsty

Tags
chinchilla pellets, degu food, dust bath, dust baths, exotic pets, gerty guinea pig, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, hagen guinea pig pellets, local pet shop, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, pig food, rabbit food, rat cage, shredded wheat, sugar glider, sugar gliders, timothy hay, wire cage, wire cages