Questions about degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Questions about degus

Ok I didn't even know Degus existed before i came to paw-talk. I was curious about and made some research. I still would like to know more from experienced owners

How big do they get? the ones on the pics on this forum seems to be small but apparently they get like 12 inch long including the tail?

What are the personality like? Rabbits? rats?

Do they get along with rabbits (i have two)

Also it seems like most of the people that are owned by degus come from UK and Canada, Where can i find them in Florida? how much are they? I also prefer to get rescued animals

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How big do they get? the ones on the pics on this forum seems to be small but apparently they get like 12 inch long including the tail?

I'm awful at estimating but they're about the size of a small guinea pig or rat. Females are smaller then males and more slim and rat-like, from what I've seen (I have three girls).

Neither, degus are unique animals . They bond very, very closely to their caretaker and are extremely friendly, playful, and energetic. However, they are not cuddly and most don't like being held...they'd rather ride on your shoulder or sit in your hands. Degus are also more intelligent then alot of small animals which means they also get into alot of trouble! Keep in mind that it can take a while to form a bond with a degu...if you grab at them or force them out of their cage they won't trust you. Patience is the key .

I've heard of degus being friends with rabbits, but I personally keep my degus and bunnies seperate. And if you mean about housing them together, definately not (though I'm sure you know that).

Are you thinking of getting a pair?

I don't live in Florida, but average price for a degu seems to be between $20 and $40 depending on where you get them. But I was lucky and got all of mine for under $10 each . Of course, part of it is that the petstore manager knows me personally, haha.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Alright thanks a lot
I new someone on this forum had rabbits and degus and i was trying to find "u" Well u found me. Im downloading a video on degus so it's slooooooowww

Thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieQC
Alright thanks a lot
I new someone on this forum had rabbits and degus and i was trying to find "u" Well u found me. Im downloading a video on degus so it's slooooooowww

Thanks a bunch
No problem . By the way, Purplebunny has bunnies and degus too .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I personally think 12 inch is a little far out as an estimate as they are much smaller i would say about 8 inch maximum including the tail. There is no other animal that you can really describe the size by as they are quite unique, if i had too i would say a baby guinea pig but a degu is a lot more rounded and well built.

Quote:
Like Sasami said they are unique and there is no other animal like them. If i had to pick a simular personality it would be the rat as i kept rats for years before i got my first degu boys and like rats they are nosey, inquisitive, playful and love to explore and be with there owner but apart from that they differ so much. Degu's are noisy, they talk to one another and to you once they trust you. They also aren't as handlable as rats as where you can pick a rat up and it will sit still for cuddles a degu won't tolerate being picked up and is far to full of fun to want a cuddle from its mummy

Quote:
On a close contact level i'm sure they do (e.g face to face handlings with the owner through the cage bars etc...) but i would never keep degu's with any other animal but their own species as it is simply not visable or safe in my opinion as there care and life styles differ so much. So i totally agree with Sasami there

Quote:
Also it seems like most of the people that are owned by degus come from UK and Canada, Where can i find them in Florida? how much are they? I also prefer to get rescued animals
I'm not from the States but i would just like to add a couple of things. Firstly i would check that they are allowed as i know from friends that in some states they are banned and secondly if you want to go down the rescue root then check out your local rodent rescues if they haven't got any when your ready then they might be able to point you in the direction of somewhere that does or keep you on the books

I have to say i always think that more people in the states seem to have them then anywhere as they are pretty much unheard of over here in the UK. They have grown a little in popularity in the last few years but when i first got my boys nearly 8 years ago there was no info at all

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:53 AM

Everyone gave great info however I'd like to add something.. At one point in time I had let my degus live freely in a small room (of course it was degu proof) with my first chinchilla and the degus actually grew a lot. By the time I decided to put them back into cages they were the size of a small squirrel or a large rat. After I put them back into cages it seemed like they got smaller to fit their surroundings (even though they have a huge cage). In the wild I bet the degus get much bigger but since pet degus are kept in cages they don't grow as much.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:57 AM

I always say squirrel sized and squirrel like with the intelligence of a rat and the independance and attitude of a cat! although jerry is a soft as a brush when he gets his tummy rubs!!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow
Thanks for the great info
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok That gives me a pretty good idea (Im not being sarcastic)

Nice way to describe it

Thanks
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My advice is if you are interested make sure you do your research first and know everything that you need to before hand about their dietry needs, size of cage etc.... If you are still interested and the care and time you have to give to them etc... doesn't put you off then they are the pets for you. They are very rewarding little pets and give you so much love that you can't imagine life without them ever

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah
I've been doing some research, downloading videos etc.. Do not worry, i tend to go crazy for cages I wouldn't say over do it cause u can never over do it. I had 2 hamsters there was 4 cages and i big clear container (with holes for air of courses)Connected with all kinds of tubes

Thanks again
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I have to say i always think that more people in the states seem to have them then anywhere as they are pretty much unheard of over here in the UK. They have grown a little in popularity in the last few years but when i first got my boys nearly 8 years ago there was no info at all
Really? I was always under the impression they were more popular in the UK . Since no one knows what they are here and whenever I mention mine they think it's a kind of lizard or something (I guess they confuse the word with 'tegu'). Maybe in other areas people have heard of them, though.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Really? I was always under the impression they were more popular in the UK
Me too, most of the people on this forum that have degus seems to be from Uk or Canada
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

forgot
Another questions, do they chew everything as much as rabbits?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
forgot
Another questions, do they chew everything as much as rabbits?
When mine are out, they are often too busy running around to chew stuff . But they can so you need to degu-proof.

If you mean about in the cage, then yes, they chew even more then rabbits. Be sure not to use plastic houses or dishes or else they'll probably be gone the next day.

~Stephanie

Tags
cage bars, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, guinea pig, shredded wheat, sit still