Really sick degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Really sick degu

One of my females became real sick this morning... She was fine last night.. I noticed a few days ago she was loosing weight so I took her out of the cage to feed her seperatly. When I took her out this morning she had no strength. I put her into a little box to get her food and water for her new cage. She climbed out and fell about 4 foot to the floor. she seemed okay for the first six or so hours but now she looks to be on deaths door step... CAN ANYONE HELP??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is she drinking? I'm guessing not. Give her water via syringe/dropper and get her to a vet asap. With degus, losing weight normally warrants a vet trip (that's just for future reference so you can catch problems before the animal is in serious danger). There are so many things that could be wrong that it'd be impossible to diagnose over the Internet (and no one here is a vet). Good luck and I hope she makes it!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

She has been trying to drink out of her bowl but cant keep her balance so i started giving her water with a dropper a few hours ago. There are not vets in my area willing to see her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Is there anything I can give her to boost her energy or something with lots of good degu vitamins? I will be up with her all night to monitor her, besides that she wont sleep anywhere but my hand. If I put her in her cage she will just squeal untill I pick her up..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Where are you located? How many vets have you tried? You might have to drive quite a bit but she really needs vet care. Are there any bird or reptile vets? If so, call and explain your situation...sometimes vets for "exotics" like birds are more willing to see exotic mammals than traditional dog/cat vets. You would want to bring a book on degus if possible.

Just keep trying!

You can feed Critical Care (an Oxbow product) with a syringe. Most vets that treat rabbits and/or guinea pigs will carry it. Sometimes pet stores stock it, as well.

Edit: The first time I had an emergency with a degu, I was horrified to learn that the usual emergency vet who treats exotics wasn't there. Luckily, the vets were willing to read up on degus (quickly) and treat my girl. They were literally flipping through a book! So even if the vet isn't an expert they may be able to help and could at least give her fluids and possibly sell you some Critical Care or an equivalent.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I ended up taking her to a vet about 60 miles from home. They took an xray and said she had internal bleeding from her fall. They put her down. :'(
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm very sorry for your loss .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

So sorry to hear that she had to be put down. My sincere condolences.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I looked for the critical care(food) in my area, Would be cheaper to get it online. But I did make my own that the vet said would be good for the goos if they ever became lathargic again or unable to eat. It boosted the rest of my goos energy and helped them put weight back on...

Tags
skinny