A sad night... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

A sad night...

Last night one of Peach's babies died. The only girl in a litter of 7 died and i just cant believe it. I had already formed the strongest bond with her and had planned on keeping her and her mother as a pair, her name was Plum and she was beautiful. Plum had very reddish hair, you could pick her out of the bunch easily.

She was fine 2 hours earlier and then we heard sad chirping and peeked in to find her dead, and half eaten . I honestly couldnt breathe it was so sad to see. I cleaned her off while my boyfreind dug her a grave under the apple tree in our backyard next to where we buried her mothers brother who was born dead 6 months ago. I wrapped her in bedding from her mom and sibings nest and put a silver heart charm ontop of her heart, and then we layed her to rest inside a tiny little pink box. Im just so shocked, and worried about the other babies, and since t is labor day weekend we are having to wait to see our vet until tuesday. Im praying that everything is alright with the others.

In the beginning we had worried that the mother wasnt caring for them but since then she has become intensly involved with them and is being an excellent mother. All of the babies including my little baby girl were and still are very healthy and growing fast. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Baby degus dont just die for no reason, and i would like to know of anything i can do for the remaining kits until we see the vet on tuesday.

Please pray for my babies, i couldnt handle losing another.....

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Adolescent Pup

Am so sorry to hear your bad news.....

I hope all goes well with your other little ones. Thinking of you. Wish I could give you more practical advice but I can't, just wanted to offer you some sympathy. It hurts so much to lose a pet, but when it's a baby, it hurts so much more.

Love Han and her 'babies'! x

3 degus - Basil, Rosie and Mary
3 chinchillas - Betsy, Chewy and Snowy
9 ratties - Mollie, Fudge, Rolo, Flora, Daisy, Blossom, Bailey, Tia and Honey
2 spiny mice - Oscar and Ned
2 Syrian hamsters - Herbert and Tinkerbell
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Part of the Pack

im so sorry, she sounded very special, she was lucky to have you (and you her) however briefly. hope the others are ok, sometimes it can be just a birth defect but its good you are getting the rest checked out anyway.

A CUDDLE A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY AND DEGU KISSES ARE EVEN BETTER!!!

PODGE
CHARLIE

TRUFFLE
CHI CHI

MR BO JANGLES

DIDDY BOB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I am so sorry for your loss! As Tasha mentioned it could of been a birth defect, and you are doing the best thing by getting the others checked out!
I hope the others are all ok, and give them loads of hugs from me..
Take care xx

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I apreciate all of your kind words.
So far so good, everyone else is still okay, but i will continue to worry until the vet checks every one over and gives them a clean bill of health. Its just so sad...

Lois Isabel

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Keep us informed! Take care hugs xx

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad that everyone else is doing well. I hope they keep up their good progress.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Part of the Pack

I'm so sorry you lost your little girl! I'm praying for the others.

Please keep us posted as to how the boys do!

Hugs to all
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oh my gosh.....that's very sad but I hope everyone else is alright.

Look Into My Voice
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm very sorry for your loss. How did the others fare at the vet? Everyone okay?

Stephanie

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hi everyone im sorry that i didnt reply sooner, but things have not been so good. My vet checked everyone out and determined that Peach's babies would be fine, but that mom shouldnt have any more litters, i guess it was probably too much on her and she wasnt feeding them as much as she should have, this is what my vet thinks killed the baby girl.
Our other female degu Lucy, had her babies wednesday, 5 were born but only 3 remain. The two that passed away were not fully developed, one looked like it had stopped developing at around 2 months and the other was deformed and very small, they were not alive at birth....
Needless to say we are very upset, and will not be breeding degus any longer, im going to try to find a vet that will neuter our males, because the population in our area is getting out of control and the heartbreak of losing kits is just too much for me. The fresh graves in our backyard are a constant reminder of how fragile these little angels are and how unfair it is to breed them. I feel irresponsible and ashamed for breeding Lucy for my own purposes, she loves having a litter, its what she lives for and i had really wanted another pair of males...
I had not planned on breeding lucy again anyways, because she is three years old and has had 2 litters, anymore would be unhealthy for her.
I appreciate everyones kind words so much, it makes it just a bit easier to deal with all of this loss. Its nice to have people that understand rather than some of the people who have said things like "oh dont be a baby they're just rodents". I dont believe that any living creature is "just" anything, especially not my little degu angels, and i can cry about it if i want to. Anyways i will stop ranting now, again thanks for your support guys it helps so much, im going to post pics of the youngin's soon .

Lois Isabel

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Aww Iam so sorry for your losses... Take care..

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwwww i'm so very sorry for your losses

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
baby degus