Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Sad to say...... :(

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Rhapsody 
#1 ·
This is SAD to say.... but I might be getting rid of Larry & his two Buddies (Kirby & Fivay) - for they have bitten to many times that most of us here at the house are now afraid to even pick them up, therefore, they are not getting the attention they deserve.

.... it took 3 weeks for my very painful and infected bite, from Larry, to HEAL.

.... I live in Central Florida is any one might be interested in them, 3 story cage included.

#2 ·
how long have you had them, how do you pick them up...do you chase them? How often did you interact with them when you got them? A new animal is always stressed in a new environment and it takes lots of patience to earn that animal's trust.

#3 ·
I'm sorry to hear you might be having to get rid of your degus :( I personally don't think you have given them long enough to get used to you and to become tame enough to handle. Degus need time to get used to a new environment and its important that you don't try and handle them too quickly and you take your time with them and work with them. The more time and effort you put in working with them the stronger your bond becomes ;)

You need to go back to basics with them and start from scratch. I can understand you may be scared of them as when they bite they bite hard but try not to be and work with them a little. Its important that you don't try to pick them up and let them come to you as degus are prey animals in the wild so don't like being picked up and often will bite. Think what a hand coming down over them must look like to a degu, scary hence they will bite. The same goes for when you put your hand in their cage, if they aren't used to you and your hand is looming towards them it triggers a fear reaction and they protect themselves. Its much better if you work with them and let them get used to you so they come to you on their own accord and then you can cup them to pick them up. Start by making sure your hands are clean and just opening the door and talking to them gently, if your scared to put your hand near the cage just put your arm near the open door so they can get used to the smell of you and get used to you being near them. They are also less likely to bite your arm then your fingers. After 10 minutes give them all a reward and shut the door and repeat again the next day. The reward will trigger a positive response within them and they will see you as a friend within no time. Repeat this daily until you can lay your hand flat in the cage and they climb onto you. Once you get to this stage you can try cupping them to pick them up. Always let the degu take it at its own pace and never rush it. Degu ownership is so rewarding and the bond you have with them is like no other pet, trust me if you put a little time in with them they make the most amazing little pets :D

If you decide to keep them and want any advice i'm always around, just drop me a pm either on here or via my website :)

#4 ·
It takes a long time for a Degu to get used to being handled. It is not at all a natural thing, so they don't have built in instincts about being handled. (In the wild, humans don't normally befriend Degus, and certainly don't handle them.)

Because of that, enjoying being handled is a learned response, one that actually goes against all their built in instincts and reactions. Prey animals are notoriously nervous and "skittery".

Once you have scared your Degu, or hurt them, or teased them, it will then take even longer for them to learn to trust you. But I assure you it IS worth the time. It is unbelievably rewarding to earn the trust of these little ones.

There is good advice and good suggestions on this thread. If you are willing to dedicate a little bit of time everyday, you will earn their trust – because they are curious, social, and friendly little animals. I believe 100% that they do WANT to be our friends, it just goes against all their instincts, so they have to work hard to overcome those.

But I can vouch for them, they want to be our friends, they enjoy being with people, and they LOVE being handled, once they are used to it.

It is up to you if you want to put in the time and work, or if you’d rather give them away. But if you are willing to take it at their pace, it will be a MOST rewarding experience! There is nothing like having a Degu climb up your arm, sit on your shoulder, and give you kisses. Absolutely nothing!

If I lived close to you, I would come over and pick them up in a heart beat! Unfortunately, in Indiana, I don’t think that is a possibility.

#6 ·
Yeah - I am aware that it takes a while for all animals to bond with theirs owners - it took the Sugar Gliders 3 months in all, but they are bonded now - one is still a little iffy but getting there.

I just do not know if the Degu are going to work out for I have little children that are always around the house (family kids) and most of them are 5 years and under - - - I am concerned about them as well.... I need an animal that is a little more people friendly all the way around - like the SG and BD we have.

I will continue to love and care for them, but I am still openly looking for a new home for them, and yes, I spend time with them every day, at least 2 hours - I give all my animals their time with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.