Sad story with a happy ending - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Red face Sad story with a happy ending

It's been a while since I've posted and update on my degus so I figured it's about time

As some of you may remember, last year my two degus became the proud parents of 5 little babies, 3 girls and 2 boys. Due to lack of cage space we decided to give 2 of the girls away to an acquaintance of ours. Before giving up our girls I made sure to type out every little tid bit of information I could think of about caring for the degus and I even hi-lighted all the most important things. When the lady came to pick up the degus I gave her the info, explained everything I could to her and even told her about paw-talk just in case she ever needed advice (I'm an over- protective mommy). Everything seemed to be alright (given the circumstances).

A few months later I heard back from the lady and she had said that one of the girls had lost the tip of her tail while being captured after an escape. This upset me a lot but I thought to myself that this "always" happens and it isn't too big of an issue. Nothing bad came of the missing tail, but this is what really upsets me...

About a month ago the lady that we gave the girls to needed a babysitter for the girls while she went on vacation for two weeks so I gladly accepted the duties. I was happy that I'd get to see the girls again and that they would get to visit their mom and sister. When they arrived I wasn't so happy anymore . The cage that they were in (if you even want to call it a cage) was a tiny little hampster/gerbil cage that used to have a plastic bottom (which I told her was a BIG no-no from the beginning!). Of course the bottom was half eaten, and the peices that were left over were still in the cage for the girls to eat! To hold the cage together was some chicken wire (cut crooked so that there was jagged wire everywhere just waiting to injure one of them) and a cardboard box . There was no wheel in the cage because she claimed "I got one for them but they didnt know how to use it" , yet as soon as I gave them one of our wheels they jumped right in and started running. As soon as the lady left I cried my eyes out and spent the whole night apologizing to my girls.

After crying my eyes out I had to check and see what I was supposed to be feeding them and it only got worse . She was feeding them some kind of gerbil or hamster food mixed with chinchilla food (the only part she obviously heard me say was chinchilla), but the chin food was the kind with all the treats in it (after I explained to her that she had to remove the treats! ). Not only the food was wrong but she was feeding them alfalfa hay and alfalfa sticks for treats. She had the right dust for them but their dustbath was a tiny 2 1/2 inch bowl that I don't even know how they could fit in!

From the day I got them I started giving them little bits of the food, hay, and treats that they should have until she got back from vacation. As I'm sure you are all hoping this story ends, I refused to give them back to her given the fact that she didn't even care to look at the guidelines I gave to her. She didn't even seem to care that I was keeping them which was upsetting but also a relief. Now my girls will be happy and healthy. I still havn't forgiven myself for letting them go in the first place but I'm glad it turned out okay and they're still alive. Surprisingly, they aren't shy at all to jump in my hand now, maybe they remember me?

I'm so happy to have my girls back and they seem to be happy too. I'll have pictures of them soon and hopefully they'll be moved in with their mom and sister in a couple weeks once we get them a big enough cage. I'll be sure to keep you all updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

thats terrible the things they went thru...but its so nice that you finally have them back and love them so much. Dont beat yourself up for letting them go..you did your best to try to find a good home for them and its just too bad that the people who you gave them to didnt really care about them and put their happiness first..its not your fault for trusting them. Look at the very bright side that she didnt just give them away or worse...they ended up back with you..and that is the best place they could be...with someone who really cares about them and is full of love.

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 AM

I think it was so great of you to stand up adn refused to allow them to go back to that situation. Good on you! not many people could do that.
Definetly a happy ending, they will live the rest of their lives in a happy loving enviroment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Adolescent Pup

Poor babies! I am glad that you refused to give them back to her. That lady should not own pets. I have chinchillas, and don't know to much about degus, but if you gave me one of your precious babies, I would at least have the courtesy of looking up the info, or at least calling you if I wasn't sure! The nerve of some people, and leaving the plastic pieces in there for them to chew on! I am outraged for you. At least you will love them and take care of them the way it was supposed to be from the beginning. Don't beat yourself up over the moron. It is not your fault. You did everything you could to properly educate her. She just didn't want to listen.

There is no one TRUE way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Firstly i want to say what an awful woman, people like her really annoy me, you try to help and advise them for the wellbeing of the animal and they think they know best and ignore you and put the animals life at risk And well done you for refusing to give them back at least they will have a fantastic life and home with you now

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:07 AM

I'm just happy they're back with you now! Poor girls. It will be nice to see them blossom under your love and care now though!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and the reassurance . I'm sure the girls are glad to be back with me too. Now they get the attention and necessities that they needed. The only hard part is getting them off of the hamster/gerbil food . They love the timothy hay now and go crazy over it . I think the girls are happy now and that makes me feel better. Hopefully I'll have pics soon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Kandy,
I'm so glad you got your girls back from that awful lady who didn't even listen to you! I agree with everyone else in that none of this was your fault and now you can give them the care they deserve.
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~
2 shelties - Blaze & Pandy

1 orange tabby - Max

2 guinea pigs - Peaches and Calli
1 chipmunk - Theodore (Teddy)

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:27 PM

If you ever give them or any away ,I would make up an adoption contract agreeing to have checkups on there conditions and have them sign a clause stating that if the conditions are aginst the care sheet you gave them that you have the right to revoke them.Next time they might not be so wiling to give them up.

Tags
alfalfa hay, cardboard box, chicken wire, hamster food, timothy hay