Sad X-mas for Nippers :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Sad X-mas for Nippers :(

This morning I woke up and as I was giving my boys their Christmas Hazelnut my hubby noticed that Nippers was limping so I checked and he hurt his foot He has a wound on the top of his back foot and theres dried blood on it

I dont know what could have happened except that maybe he got bit? The other two boys (especially his dad) keep cuddling him and making their warbaling sound to him. I separated him to give him his nut that way he didn't have to be bugged with the others while he was eating. He seems alright except he is limping a little.

I didn't clean it yet because the blood is dried. The skin around the wound is normal and not red so I'll check it everyday to see if it looks worse or red and if it does I'll clean it. I hope it gets better soon and he is fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry to hear that .

Could he have gotten injured from the wheel or something?

If it doesn't look too bad then it should heal fine on it's own but if you're worried you could call the vet.

I hope he makes a nice recovery .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

He could have gotten hurt one the wheel, I'm not sure. A lot of the time all 3 boys try to run in the same wheel so maybe something happened because of that.

Thanks for the hopes! He seems to be doing ok, I hope it stays that way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
He could have gotten hurt one the wheel, I'm not sure. A lot of the time all 3 boys try to run in the same wheel so maybe something happened because of that.

Thanks for the hopes! He seems to be doing ok, I hope it stays that way!
Yeah, mine do that too and I'm always worried little Rosie will get hurt but so far that hasn't happend.

I'm glad he's doing ok .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 02:20 AM

aww poor nippers hope he gets 100% better soon. ya wheels can be the best and worst thing
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, he isn't limping as bad today, so I think he's feeling a little better.

Today we prepared the degu's digging pit that we got them for x-mas and I felt bad because he couldn't play in it I'll wait a week or so before I let the boys play in it I guess.

Thanks again for the hopes.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 07:19 PM

GIve him a big degu hug from my lot.. Hope he is ok?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

He's doing better, it seems to be healing a little. It turns out that his twin brother has the same wound () which is also healing well also.

My hubby and I spent hours searching the cage and we checked the wheel. We think that it might have been a stick that they chewed into a sharp point. There was a little bit of red on it (perhaps blood) so we took it out. We removed all of the sticks and tied them to the cage that way it doesnt happen again. Hopefully that was the problem and we solved it.