Sand/Dust Bath Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Sand/Dust Bath Questions

What kind of Dust/Sand Bath do you use?
Where do you get it?
How much does it cost?

And IS there a cheaper form of sand/dust for degus to dig in?
I know some people use Childrens play sand (baked) for thier gerbils, is this something we can do with Degus also?

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 PM

I use Living World Chinchilla Bath Sand. I get it from the local pet store (Pets Unlimited). I think it was $6.99 plus tax? I don't remember exactly, it wasn't terribly expensive though and it lasts me awhile (I only have two degus though).

As for the other questions, I'm not sure. I would think that play sand would be too grainy and not the same consistency as the dust bath but maybe consistency doesn't even matter. I'll let someone else field that question
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would only ever use chinchilla sand as it is the safest choice in my opinion. My boys love to dig in and and kick it around so a high sided container is a must. I also sieve through the sand once it has been used and salvage what i can before i mix in fresh so it lasts longer so that saves a little money. If you want to create them something to dig in that would be cheap then i suggest using some organic compost and a mix it with a little of the sand and the degu's will go mad for it

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 AM

The cheapest kind I've found is called Sun Seed Chinchilla bath. It's only $2.99 for 30oz, which is almost half the price of Kaytee (which my pet store switched to... grrr....) It lasts a really long time - I don't leave it in all the time - just for a half hour each in the morning and evening - so it stays clean longer. I concur on the play sand - too gritty!

Hope that helps - RR

Tags
dust bath, local pet store, pet store