Sandbaths - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Sandbaths

I leave a bowl of vanilla bean scented ash/sand in their cages at all times for my two babies and for my solo degu. As I read through the different posts, most people give the sand occasionally. It does not cause harm to leave it in their cages, does it? The bowls are deep and they do not make a mess. The critters love jumping in and out even if they aren't playing in the sand itself. The aroma from the vanilla bean scent is wonderful!! I can tell when the critters are playing in it because the room fills with this great aroma. Aside from having to remove their excrements, I like to leave sand in their cages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Part of the Pack

Is that vanilla bean stuff good for degus? If so I'd like to get my hands on some of that! As for leaving the sand in their cage, I see no harm in it I used to leave the dustbath in my degu cage but it just became too big of a hassel to wash it everyday (because they used it as a toilet) and a few times I caught them rolling in it after they went to the bathroom in it (eww ) Now I just give it to them long enough for them to all get their baths and i take it out before they go to the bathroom in it. If you do it that way then you only need to change the dust once a week

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

sand

The vanilla bean volcanic ash (as I suppose all sand is) is sold at PetsMart as Chinchilla Dust. They also have regular dust. Reg @ $7, Vanilla @ $8. The stuff smells unbelievably terriffic! My degus smell like vanilla whenever they play on my arms and shoulders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I leave the sand in my boys cages all the time and sive (yes i said sive, i use a tea strainer ) through it every few days to remove uneaten food and faeces etc.... They do use it as a toilet occasionally but once the novelty has worn off they tend to use it just for the purposes of bathing and eating. So no it doesn't hurt them leaving it in all the while as they can bathe when they want then, just remember to clean through it every through days so any uneaten food can't harm them in the excitement of bathing! Vanilla sand won't harm them as you can infuse chinchilla sand with vanilla for introduction purposes so it shouldn't harm them at all

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Part of the Pack

I'll be making a trip to PetSmart this weekend to get some of that vanilla bean dust! Thanks for the tip of where to get it

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Part of the Pack

I leave mine in the cage... i find they keep the rest of the cage cleaner because they use it as a toilet!