Say hello to Quinny and Beebo! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Talking Say hello to Quinny and Beebo!

They're living in a smaller, wired cage until we finish with their big cage. They're two little boys, very bright and tame. Quinn (or Quinny) is more jumpy and always looking around and climbing, while Beebo is softer and usually just sits and ponders, or climbs around and eats. Both are very small, however, Beebo is the smallest. Quinny has bits of blond and gray in his fur, and the only way I can tell them apart is that Quinny is bigger and grayer. It suprises me how intelligent they are--when I gave them their wheel, they used their hands to spin it around and wondered what the heck it could be for, and they use their dust "bath" for a litter box, too. They're always alert and look at me when I call them, and sometimes run to the door. I had them out in the box/play pen, and they'd let me pick them up, scooping them from the bottom instead of grabbing, of course, and they'd also surprisingly grab onto my hand and climb up onto my shoulder. Then, of course, they'd use that as a way of getting out of the box. xD I don't feel good about letting them run around the room yet, like Dehgoo (my friend's degu is apparently called that). I'll just wait until they're tamer, bigger, and the room is more degu-proof.

Oh, and do you want some pictures? Blah, I can't take any good ones that capture their cuteness. The ones in my signature are the best.

Anyway, these little buggers love being rubbed under the chin and behind the ears, and love hay. They just can't stop eating it! I can't way to get to know them even more...I drove 6 hours just to get them, so I know it'll be worth it! They have the brightest eyes and biggest ears, too. They seem to have sparkles in their fur. o_O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Also, they're grayish, but they seem to be turning brown, like the average degu. Around their noses and ears it's brown. Do you think babies are just normally gray in color?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 01:20 PM

Those are the cutest little munchkins ever! In my experience, all my babies have been lighter and grown into the richer brown coloured coat eventually. They'll go through a major shed of their baby fur and get their 'adult' fur. Have fun with your new degus! Handle them lots and all will be well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Babies are definately lighter than the adults in colour and as they mature they darken off. They will have a major moult with the change of the seasons and will become darker in time, just give them lots of sand to help them shread their coats when it is time. Congratulations on becoming owned by the little critters

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

They're very smart, too. ^^ They like to climb up on my arm and run around on my bed. It's so hard to keep track of them, but it's great fun. xD Their cage is just full of branches. So many branches. They have a little forest of hay, branches and toys. xD Too bad I don't have enough room yet to put in their wheels. (Yes, two. They fight over them, little buggers.) But we're enjoying them very much. Thank you all for your advice on the care of these lovely creatures.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:51 PM

Are they 'fighting' over the wheel, or just trying to run in tandem and bolloxing it up? From everything I hear, degus just like to run in tandem on the wheel, even if multiple wheels are provided. Mine go in there at the same time all the time - funny when they try to go different direction. Even more funny when one stops and the other doesn't, and the first gets sling-shotted over top of the other!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quinny, who is the dominate one, just kind of chirps strangely at Beebo and sometimes they run together, chirping at each other. They chirp a lot, whether it be when they're arguing over who uses the water bottle first, or if they're cleaning each other.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

I just let them out to play on my bed (with supervision, of course) but Beebo slipped and fell to the ground. xD He's perfectly fine, and let me scoop him up very easily, but I put them both back in the cage and now they're madly chewing at the bars of the door. -Siiiigh- If only it were easier. -Chuckles-
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 PM

Congrats they are adorable!

Tags
litter box