Second Opinion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Second Opinion

This afternoon we head to the Vet again. Bruces eye has not gotten any better, though it hasn't gotten any worse either.
We are seeing my regular Dr. this time so hopefully we can figure out what is making his eye all weepy.

I don't think it is/was the infection the Dr. thought it may be, only b/c it hadn't spread to the other eye or the other Degu and those types of infections are very contagious.
I have a strange feeling maybe it's a blocked tear duct? Someone told me sometimes that needs surgery
Whatever is causing his eye to weep I just hope it's easily fixed and isn't causing him any harm (He's still his normal little happy self).

So wish us luck today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwww goodluck

I hope they can get to the bottom of this for both Bruce and you. I have to say i am in agreement that it is odd it hasn't spread to the other eye or other degu if it is conjunctivitis but it depends on what strain it is also. I think that there may be some other underlying cause maybe its a different kind of infection or something else. Keep us posted on how you get on

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Well we're back, and Bruce was such a good boy. The Vet commented on how tame my boys are, as any others he has met "just try to scratch you to death' lol...

Anyways we checked and re-checked and poked and proded and have come to the conclusion that the infection is gone, but we believe it was caused by a blocked tear duct gland.
Since the eye is always leaking and there is no infection or inflamation it is an indication of a blocked tear duct, also because the eye cannot drain properly all the fluid in it is a perfect breeding groun for bactiria, which was the infection he had that cleared up with the meds last week.
He also said this is probably something caused by an old wound or problem, as Bruces eye lid is a bit harder/thicker then usual, causing him to not have the eye open 'all' the way.

Unfortunetly there is nothing we can do for Bruce, this dosn't bother him, nor cause him pain, he's obviously feeling better as he's been chewing his son Georges hair off again

My hope is that the duct will eventually clear itself.
I do recall having 'a' Degu with a weepy eye when i first rescued this bunch, I just can't remember who, but most likely it was Bruce and this is a re-occuring thing.

Bummer it can't be fixed, but I'm glad it's nothing serious or anything harming him.
The appointment was also no charge today, which I thought was very nice (and really helped me out).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Glad to hear the vets appointment went ok

I have a theory on the fur chewing problem, you said he goes through spates of doing it and it just occured to me i read an article once about fur chewing and i wonder if his eye has anything to do with it. As degus are known to fur chew to cope with a stressful problem so when his eye is sore he might chew Georges fur to soothe himself. Like i say it is a theory but you never know it might be the cause

Kirsty

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I could see that as a stress thing, but he does the fur chewing when he's doing fine. It was when he had the infection that he stopped with the chewing.

He mounts his son and chews the fur on his sholderblades. I'm thinking it's a dominance thing, though his son os the one who's dominate over the food bowl.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Fur chewing tends to be down to dominence issues, boredom or stress related problems (i.e ill health, environment etc). I do agree it could be dominence or a boredom issue like we talked about before but as you said the tear duct was an ongoing problem and one had a weepy eye when you got them i wondered if it annoys him at times and he fur chews to take his mind of it. But whilst he had the infection he didn't do it as he wasn't 100% within himself so his mind wasn't on the tear duct? Like i said it is just a theory but it might be worth getting a book and noting down times when he fur chews the most to see if you can see a pattern to it

Kirsty

Tags
doing fine, food bowl