Separating Degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Question Separating Degus

I have (had), a male & female. I think they may have bred (they have been together since befor Christmas) The female has been attacking the male and I separated them for a while, but then reintroduced them. Well the other day, I noticed she was really hurting him, drawing blood behind the neck and he was missing patches of hair around his legs and such. So now they are separated permanently ( I found him a new home)

Is that OK to do? Will she be OK? If she is pregnant will she be ok having the babies by herself? LOL i know they have them by themselves all the time, but I still worry.

Do you think she would adapt to another female better? Or should I just leave her by herself?

Would it be OK if I introduced a younger female? & What if she had babies, would they both be OK in there with the babies?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You did the right thing seperating them for a start so well done as if left she could have killed him. Its fairly uncommon for a male and female to fight as they do tend to get on generally but its not unheard of, if it had just been a small fight then i might have put it down to hormones and her maybe not wanting to breed but it sounds like the male had taken quite a beating so wasn't just a one off. How long had they been together and are you positive she is pregnant? Is she displaying any signs she might be? Degus are social animals so keeping on her own long term isn't the best idea as they can become depressed without the company of other degus but if she proves to too aggressive with others you might have little choice. What i'd suggest doing is waiting for a month or two and see if she has any babies or develops anything that might suggest she is pregnant, just keep an eye on her and give her lots of attention (without handling her just incase shes in pup as could cause her to miscarry) and tickles to make sure shes ok and not getting depressed. Degus are pregnant for around 3 months so you should expect something to happen in the next month or so if she is. If she does have babies then i suggest you keep any females you might have as company for her as she should bond with them and rehome the boys if possible. If she proves not to be then get her a new friend preferably female and introduce them over a period of time and hopefully fingers crossed you should have no problems

Goodluck and please keep us posted

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, i think she may be pregnant, she is getting bigger. They have been together since before Christmas. Her attitude toward him was just getting worse and worse.
Her cage is in my living room so she gets lots of attention. I will let you know when or if she has babies. My moms just had babies & they are the cutest things ever! As soon as I fugure out how to post pics, I will.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 01:50 AM

Good luck with bonding her to another female.
I just finished bonding 2 males together after we had a lone male degu brought to our rescue and he'd been alone for who knows how long(he was a class pet)! But boy does he absolutely love his new brotherly company.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfetus
If she is pregnant will she be ok having the babies by herself?
I don't think it'll be a problem. Male degus are supposed to be good daddies, but my Basil has done NOTHING to help Sage out. He's so freaked out by the babies that he pretty much ignores them and stays by himself.

You did the right thing by seperating them before one of them got very seriously injured.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 05:35 PM

Everyone has said exactly what I would.. You have done the right thing by separating them.. Good luck and keep us informed..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Guess What!! I introduced a baby female to my older female and they are getting along great! They even eat out of the same bowl. So far (about 3 weeks) things have been going great. I guess she just didnt like boys!
Thanks for all the help!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thats great news

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:30 AM

Cool...I have two females that were out of the different litters, and they get along for the most part, other than the occasional sumo wrestle! lol.... Sounds like you will be expecting a few new arrivals soon enough

Tags
males together, social animals