She/Hes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She/Hes

i had a male Degu whos brother died in december. He was moping so i tried putting him in with chinnies - he loved it but unfortuantly one of my chinnies didnt like that he kept waking her up and eventually got moody and bit his tail so he had to come back out. i decided 2 months ago to get him a new friend and found some little degus at pets at home in the adoption center. i was told they were boys and i thought they lookd a bit girl like but they were so small (possibly too small to be sold seemed much smaller than my boy was when i got him) and i was told by 2 members of staff they were boys. Now the boys are bigger they are looking very very much like girls... however they have already been in with my male for 2 months! Chances are if they are girls they are already preggers! Do i remove the male or leave him in? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Remove him to prevent a second pregnancy right after birth. Or neuter him. Are you sure they're female? If it's possible to get a photo, someone here could probably sex them for you (like myself) .

If they really are female, keep them together with any female babies. Once any male babies are weaned, move those in with dad.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

http ://s113.photobucket.com/ albums/n218/banehart/?action=view&current=IMG_2145.jpg
heres one of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

remove the spaces - it wouldnt let me link
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Based on just that photo, it looks like a female (though sometimes angles can make it tricky). Definitely remove the male.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I dont have another cage..... i can try putting him back into the chinnies cage but one of them doesnt get on with him... nope just tried... there was wee flying everywhere.... i am thinking of seeing if pets at home will give me a discounted cage - its there fault...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehart View Post
I dont have another cage..... i can try putting him back into the chinnies cage but one of them doesnt get on with him... nope just tried... there was wee flying everywhere.... i am thinking of seeing if pets at home will give me a discounted cage - its there fault...
Chinchillas and degus should never be housed together in the first place.

Try craigslist and freecycle, cheap/free cages pop up all the time.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

are they websiites?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I just realised i could use the old metal grid that use to be on the floor of the cage to split the cage in half so they are seperated now.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

You really need a second cage.
If one of your female degus get sick and you need to seperate her, what are you going to do then?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I know i do... i had one up till last week when Jacob decided to eat through the plastic base i am looking for a new cage.. whats a good cage for the girls if they have babies?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM

lol - okay.

Sorry, I do not know what cage is good
That's the problem with building your own Z_z

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehart View Post
I know i do... i had one up till last week when Jacob decided to eat through the plastic base i am looking for a new cage.. whats a good cage for the girls if they have babies?
The largest cage you can afford and have room for. Degus need a ton of space so go as big as possible. The cage should be made with metal, no plastic.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Sasami:
But what about wiring? Can't that be a problem if one or both are pregnant?

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Sasami:
But what about wiring? Can't that be a problem if one or both are pregnant?
They should avoid wire bottoms but that's common sense with degus (I hope). If the spacing isn't too large, wire cages are fine. Basically, they should avoid cages designed with larger animals like ferrets in mind unless they plan to cover the cage with some other type of wiring (don't ask me, I'm not a DIY kind of person, haha). Most ferret cages I've seen have huge spacing--definitely small enough for a baby to fall through/climb out.

~Stephanie

Tags
pregnency