shivering? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

shivering?

its about 20 degrees where my degus are but it kinda seems like when i hold my degus it seems like they shiver like thier cold.... it happens like maybe once a week... is this normal?

vinamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's degrees C, right? I hope so. So that would be like 52 degrees F, but I could be wrong. If it is 52, that's a bit cold. They should be kept at temps in the 70's(F) I think. Mine are very comfy at the temp we keep our house, which is around 75 F. That would be....43 C, if my conversions are right, which they may not be.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Part of the Pack

No no not 42!! 42 C is about 105 F, don't burn them! I keep my Degu's room at about 20 C (67 F) always and they seem fine, but you can probably let it be 25 C (75 F). Mine seem to get cranky and their fur gets yucky when its over 25 though

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Playful Pup

They should be a lil warmer.

2 Rabbits 2 Degus 2 Leopard Geckos 1 Crested Gecko 2 Green Tree Frogs + Fish
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Part of the Pack

Degus are native to Chili and usually live in cooler conditions actually.

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Playful Pup

I know.. but someone said that would be aruond 52F.

2 Rabbits 2 Degus 2 Leopard Geckos 1 Crested Gecko 2 Green Tree Frogs + Fish
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 03:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's come from a rocky arid area and are used to warm days and cooler nights when they normally would be in their nests and burrows. Temperatures can range from highs of 40c to lows of 0c. I don't think your degu's would be shivering from cold or heat personally especially not when they are out with you as if they was cold your body heat should keep them warm. Are they used to being handled regularly? Do they shiver when they are in their cage or is it just when they are handled? As if not maybe they are a little scared when they come out although unusual for them to shiver i wouldn't rule it out.

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sorry...my degrees C to degrees F conversions are off. But, if 32 F is 0 C, wouldn't you just add 32 to whatever number the C degrees is to get F? That seems to make sense to me. We learned all that conversion crap in high school chem. That was a LOOOOOOONG time ago.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Part of the Pack

You would think the conversion would be that easy but it's not it's actually a longer equation but I just use a thermometer that has both C and F on it, its faster to look than to do the equation

Heres the equations:
F to C: subtract 32 then divide the answer by 1.8
C to F: multiply by 1.8 then add 32 to the answer

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

they seem to not be shivering anymore.. i turned up the temp to around 25 now. they only shiver when thier in my hands so they just might be scared seein that i only had them for a month.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 05:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would think that its more than likely they are a little scared as Degu's take time to get used to people and as they only shiver when they are in your hands, it can't be anything to do with temperature otherwise they would shiver in their cage

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide