Should I get another degu? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Should I get another degu?

I have a female degu that is between 3 and 4 years old. She's always alone. I'm wondering if I should introduce another one. I wa hoping that someone with experience with a similar situation could help me out.

When I got her 2 years ago, from a friend of a friend, I was old she was a kangaroo rat. After doing some searching on the internet (since she didn't look like a kangaroo rat to me) I found out that she was a degu. I feel badly for her since I now know what social animals they are.

She's very sweet and friendly, but she'll have nothing to do with being held (or even being out of her cage). She gets a lot of attention from me and my 3 boys. She loves to be scratched and will make her sweet little warbling sounds at me and then she takes her turn grooming the ends of my fingers

Is this enough? Or is it worth it to see if she'll get along with another degu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Will It Ever Change?

oh man, once you see degus interact, you'll know why you have to get another one. they have to be together. my two girls are one functioning entity. the introductions might be hard tho, i'll let other tell you about that

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:57 AM

be careful i bought a friend for one of my degus and they got in a bad fight and one fractured its foot soo bad that a bone was sticking out of the foot..... Be careful
you will be very sad if you get one and they dont get along
they do say they need another degu but you have to be very patient and read up on how to introduce them to eachother or you lll have the same thing happen that i did
You have to let them come to you on thier turms
dont chase them to catch them cause they will remember that...
and they will not trust you
get them to come to you by putting treets in your palm eventually they will crawl in your hand and run up your shoulder and you can hold them that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:03 AM

now if you do the treat thing consistantly every day for about 2 weeks
she will sit in your hand in no time....... but you have to attempt this everyday and spend about 10-20 minutes at a time
i did this exactly this way and now my degu will come out onto my hand everytime i open the cage door
I dont hold them everyday now that they do this just about 2 -3 times a week
i do spend a couple minutes a day talking to them though
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Degus definately love having buddies but introductions will take time since your degu has been alone for so long.

I would get a baby female . You can let them meet in a neutral territory like the bathtub and also keep them in cages next to each other...sometimes switching which degu is in which cage or at least switching bedding. Let them use the same dust bath, too, so they smell the same .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:07 AM

my kids are not allowed to hold them and they dont trust the kids enough to let them........
they seem to be ok with all adults but they are feerful of the kids....
from what ive noticed they pick a favorite human (me) and that is the one they trust the most and try to please
the kids do give them treats through the bars and the degus enjoy this
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think you should definately get her a friend, a baby female would be your best bet Problems only tend to arise if you don't introduce them properly, introductions take time but there is nothing like seeing two degus snuggled together fast asleep

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips on getting her to come out of her cage She'll hop into a box and let me carry her around that way for a little bit. She gets a trip to the tub when I change her litter.

She seems to like the kids, they're really good with her. She's in the living room, so she gets lots of attention and she's always with us. I absolutely LOVE the sweet little sounds she makes when I scrach her. Are they noisy when they're together? I think she is the coolest pet I've ever had
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Will It Ever Change?

they're not noisy together, they just communicate to each other. i think of them as energetic grandparents. if my one's on the wheel, and the other comes to take it, they argue lol but its' not loud. the only loud noise is when they feel threatened or startled. and that's a CHEEP CHEEP noise, it's the only noise ican hear from our bedroom down the hall. they warble a gazillion times a day whenever they touch, literally. you'll DIE of amazing animal cuteness overload if you get her a friend. My two girls, anazing!!! and they're sooooo friendly, if one is calm with you, the other is like "well okay, iguess if you say so". oh man, trust us on this one. your kids will DIE at watching them all day. when my sis comes to visit, she's 12, she just sits with them the whole time. i let them out and they run all over her. they're not an animal that sits still for long. she'll sit beside their cage and talk to them for hours, lol i do that too, she learned it from me. you should see one hold still in a wierd position whiel the other grooms her. oh man.

Last edited by mulder; 03-23-2007 at 03:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Will It Ever Change?

here's the one of tepal holding still while vala (on the wheel) grooms her neck

Last edited by mulder; 03-23-2007 at 03:54 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 PM

mine make noise all the time
especially when i broom up the mess around thier cage
they yell at the broom it is cute
they hate the broom
they yell at the dog when he walks by thier cage too
they are tooo tunny i actually should'nt say they it is just the mama that yells at everything the others dont care
but they chirp and squeek all day long they are very vocal

Tags
dust bath, social animals