should I get some? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

should I get some?

Hey guys,
I've been looking into degus on and off for the past while, and now I have a dilemma. I took my dog to a groomers to be shaved and they had a bunch of degus there! Apparently they had too many litters and couldn't sell them to good homes, so they have all these degus now. The youngest ones are about a year old and I was told they have been fed rabbit pellets . I didn't see any sandbath or hay, either. They seem fairly friendly cause she fed them peanuts (as a treat) and they all rushed up to the door. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get some of these degus or if they might have health problems down the road. But at the same time, it would be great to rescue a couple of them. Any advice?
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~
2 shelties - Blaze & Pandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 orange tabby - Max
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 guinea pigs - Peaches and Calli
1 chipmunk - Theodore (Teddy)

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its a hard one to call as your heart tells you one thing and your head tells you another, at the end of the day though it is upto you and only you can make the decision that is best for you. If you are seriously interested then i would go back and ask if you can have a look at them. Once near them try and give them a good checking over, see if they have bright clear eyes, orange teeth that are straight and not too long or growing out of sync with each other, a good shiny coat and are nicely rounded (not too fat and not too thin as degu's should be). There is every chance that they will be ok as not all rabbit food is toxic to them and if they have been on the diet this long and are all ok then there is every chance it hasn't caused any long term damage. My only worry is if they haven't had any hay as fibre is important in their diet and for grinding their teeth down. I have rescues and they are all ok after a bad start of the wrong diet and care so there is every chance these guys will be fine too

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 09:29 AM

give it a shot but dont expect them to be relly friendly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

If they seem friendly and healthy,then go for it!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
rabbit food, rabbit pellets