Sick Baby degu? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Sick Baby degu?

Hey long time no see! Well Kiwi's about 8 weeks, I haven't had her for long. But the last couple days she has been looking pretty skinny to me. And today she's slow and sluggish, she was always very fast and active. And her eyes were a little closed compared to usual. Just a little, but no swelling, no stuff coming out, clear. I seperated her from my other bigger degu, and fed her some pellets soaked in olive oil. To encourage weight gain. I've also added extra vitamins to her water. Is something seriously wrong with her? It doesn't hurt if I rub her stomach, and her feet don't seem to hurt, but she's hunched hum a little. Maybe constipated? Don't know. What do you guys think?
I'm worried.
A vet is not an option. I wish it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The best thing would be to get her to a vet as only a vet can diagnose any serious problems and she may need drugs to cure whatever ails her. We can all offer advice but the best place would be a vets

Is she eating? Drinking? What are her stools like? Is she urinating?

You need to keep her hydrated as degus go down hill quickly if they become dehydrated so try syringe feeding her water if she won't drink of her own accord. You also need to keep her warm as degus crave heat when they aren't feeling well, so either a heat pad or a hot water bottle would work fine. If it is constipation (if her stools are extremely small this could be an indication) the olive oil would help as its a lubricant. Try feeding her tasty foods such as pureed veggies or soak some oats in warm water. Degus when feeling unwell lose weight very quickly, i had a sick boy in February who we suspect may have been consitpated and i nursed back to full health and he lost weight over night as he refused to eat and drink. He is back to full health now and gained back all the weight he lost

Please keep us updated on you little girl

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM

DEGUS CAN'T BREAK DOWN FAT AND SUGARS PROPERLY!

Sorry, look, please just take her to a vet, I know you want to do your best, but a vet is better qualified to do so.
If you go to DEGU guide there's a list of vets there.
There is also a guide on there about syringe feeding young degus or degus that are not eating.
Please take her to a vet though.

Quote:
Feeding
Degus are accustomed to a very meagre food and their digestive tract is adapted to this kind of nutrition. Degus are quite prone to developing diabetes so it is best to avoid too much sugar. Treats or feed containing large amounts of sugar and/or fat like nuts or fruits should not be fed regularly.

The main component of a healthy feeding is fresh hay of very good quality. Your degus should have unlimited access to it.
Meanwhile, there are some ready-to-use mixes on the European market, but so far they are not accessible for degu owners in the USA. You may mix different types of food to get your individual degu food. As a basis you may use guinea pig food mixed with dried vegetables and herbs. Some chinchilla pellets are also suitable. Keep in mind that it should contain only few or no nuts/sunflower seeds or sugar-rich components.
Grain should be used rarely as it is quite high in energy and starch may disturb the microbial flora of the digestive tract.

Instead of fruits (rich in sugar), it is better to use vegetables, herbs and grass for enriching the feeding. Suitable, for example, are pepper, chicory, apple tree branches with leaves, carrots and their leaves, hazelnut branches, and willow branches.
Some vegetables such as carrots and beet root may lead to yellow or even reddish urine, don’t mistake it for blood! All green things should be fed in reasonable amounts.

Degus need free access to water at any time!
English Degu-Site - Information about Degus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Any news yet?

Kirsty

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Hey. She seems a little less sluggish, but still weak. I really can't afford a vet. Trust me I would, but I'm looking for a job right now. She does eat what I feed her, and I think it helps that the bigger degu isn't hogging all the food. She drinks more if I give it to her tough. Her ears are low. But she does clomb around her cage, which is a good sign, I think. She's better than she was yesterday morning, but I'll fell better when her ears perk up.
Thanks for the advice guys. Hope you aren't mad that I can't take her to the vet. I really would if I could.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 PM

Sometimes life takes us places that we can't predict.
It's only people who can't be bothered or who have the money to take their pets to the vet but prefer to spend it on other things, rather than their animals who are as dependent on them as children...
Could you try saving in case the symptoms persist?

Did you look at the German site I linked on the information thread? They have some tips on there which might be helpful.

As long as you're doing the best you can, that's all that matters.

Do keep us updated though, we're here for ya!
xoxoxoxoxox
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the site looks good. I feed them veggies once a day already. That link is good though, thanks. I've always wondered which veggies were best. I mostly stick with carrots. lol But saving, definitely if I had a job. Still looking. Cause I'd willingly give up eating out or other stuff if I had money. I always put them first. As much as I can. I think i have some thyme actually, I'll try giving them some of that. 9Well its my boyfriend's, but I'm sure he won't mind)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It sounds like you are doing your best for her and thats what matters If you do ever need a vet don't be scared to ask them if you can delay payment as a lot of vets will treat the animal first and then let you pay it off little by little if needs be

If she is eating and drinking then i would keep a close eye on her as normally not eating food and drinking are the first things that you notice when they aren't well, if shes active too thats also a good sign. If she was constipated it could be a case of that she has passed whatever was blocking her. Another thing you could do if you do think it is something like constipation is massage her tummy as this can help stimulate the bowel.

There are loads of veggies you can feed degus but some take them more readily then others: This is a list of what my guys have

Broccoli
Carrot
Tomato
Cucumber
Cauliflower
Lettuce
Sweet potato (make sure you remove the skin first as it is extremely toxic to them)
Radishes
Brussel Sprouts
Green Beans, runner beans
Spring Onions (scallions)
Fresh Peas
Cabbage (savoy and white)
Butternut Squash
Leek
Pumpkin
Courgette
Peppers
Mangetout
Sugar snap peas

Herbs that are suitable are Basil, Parsley, Corriander, Mint and Chives

Kirsty

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Aw! Unfortunately she died. I brought her cage into our bedroom, cause I was worried about her, and I checked on her first thing in the morning, and I thought she was dead. so I just touched her and left. And then my boyfriend told me she was still alive, and I ran to her so she wouldn't be by herself! I felt so sad, knowing it must hurt. But I held her in the crook of my elbow, which she loved, and held her until she passed. I was crying the whole time, and my boyfriend too!
We buried her ouside, and made a nice little grave for her, with flowerd and rocks.
At least Mirou didn't have to see her die, cause that would of been sad.
I hate that I couldn't do anything. Beig poor sucks!
But I hope I could comfort her for that last half-hour. I don't know what i would have done if I knew I had just touched her and left her to die alone...she would have been heartbroken!
Poor Kiwi! But she was probably sick when I got her. She WAS skinny, (I didn't pick her), but I thought it was stress for a long drive and stuff. But she was starting tio gain weight.
But it was a good 2 weeks. She was really cute, and VERY tame and cuddly after a few days. (Took lots of work thoug, cause she was terrified at first!)
Thanks for your help and support guys, I appreciate it. At least Mirou didn't get sick from her. I was just trying to get her a friend, and failed miserably.
But she's been with me for a year now, almost, so I'll try again when I get a job.
Cheers!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww i'm so sorry for your loss

You was there for her in her last hours and you tried to do your best for her, a lot of people wouldn't have even done that. I've lost a lot of degus over the years and often when they go down hill there isn't a lot you or the vet can do as degus hide symptoms so well as they have a high pain tolerance so when we notice something isn't quite right its often too late. I spoke to my vet about pain once and he said once they get into the comatose state its very unlikely they feel anything as their body is shutting down and thats what i try to think when one has passed. Your little girl is at peace now, hugs to you and Mirou

Kirsty

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM

I am so sorry. I checked in several times a day to check on you. Just know that that little degu knew she was loved.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm very sorry for your loss .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 03:15 PM

I am sorry she suffered and wasn't take to the vet. Please do not get anymore animals. If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford a pet!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. As for that llast one, I don;t need YOU to tell me i should have money for a vet. I already knew that. But I don't think the privilege of having something to love should be monopolized by people who have money. I love my pets. And I give them everyything I have, often sacrificing my own stuff to buy them toys. And I need animnals. It's selfish, but I have ansiety, and sometimes, having a pet around is the only thing that stops me from having panic attacks. So I don't think its your place to judge me. And I already stated that I would wait until I got another job before getting another pet. And when I agreed to get this baby, it was a month before, and I thought I'd have a job by now. And I was only thinking about Mirou's happiness. And I know Kiwi was happy while she was here. I might not have money, but I give everything to assuring their happiness. I thinks that's pretty important.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I didn't mean JUST toys litterally. Trust me, I don't just spend money on toys. But I meant food and stuff too. I'm sorry if it came out that way. I didn't word it right, and I can see why that sounded weird. I'm just trying to say that I like to put them first, before me. I go out of my way to meet their needs as much as poossible. And that this situation I'm in is only temporary. It is impossible to know when you'll be in a tough spot for money. It just happens somethimes. It's not something I planned. I said, if I had the money I would have given medical care. I have done so for pets in the past. And I've already stated that I was waiting to find a job before getting more pets. So please don't twist things around. You don't know me, if you did, you'd see that my priorities ARE good, and that I really do love my pets. But I thng things are getting out of hand here. And this forum is about support, not picking on people. And yoy;re being kind of mean really. Though i do know where you are coming from. But try to understand my point of view. I'm not going to just abandon myn pets just because things are tough. They're family, and I love them. And things will get better. But yes, medical attention is imortant. Please don't think I disagree. Because I do. You just don't know my whole situation that's all. So please don't jump to conclusions.

Tags
chinchilla pellets, degu care, degu food, guinea pig, guinea pig food, pet owner, pig food, sunflower seeds