Sick Degu - Bad tooth - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sick Degu - Bad tooth

Hi, everyone.
I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problem that my Degu is having.

I adopted my Degu from a humane society about 2 months ago. About 2 weeks after I got him I noticed his eye was swollen shut and he had trouble breathing. My fiance and I took him to the vet the next day. We found out he had a rotten tooth that was causing an infection in his head. The vet gave us 3 meds, one for the infection, one for his eye, and one for pain. We gave it to our degu faithfully for 2 weeks and he seemed to go back to normal.

About 2 weeks later hs head swelled again. We took him back to the vet, who gave us more meds. He said we had a choice, we could continue medicating him forever, or take a chance with getting him surgery to remove the tooth. Well, our choice was made for us when he started to get sick again, even on the meds.

His surgery is scheduled for this upcoming Monday. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or anything similar and how their degu did. I'm really attached to the little guy.

Thanks.
Grlphantom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Aaaawwww i'm sorry to hear about your degu, i haven't been through anything like that myself with mine but my heart goes out to you as i know what you must be going through right now You have to remember that what you are doing is for the best as you don't want him to suffer and if he keeps getting an infection its really for the best and i'm sure he will pull through! I know that they say operating on small animals is risky but so is any surgery and you only hear about the bad and if you have a good vet then you can put your trust in that they will do all they can for you and your pet!

Goodluck and I hope your degu makes it through the surgery ok and keep us posted

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for your support Amethystbelle, I really appreciate it. My family just can't seem to understand why I am investing so much in something that I got for $3 at a pound. Well, they just don't know the little guy! I certainly will keep you informed. They said that I'll get him back Monday evening and that the next fewdays after that will be critical as rodents apparently do not like to eat after mouth surgery.

I'm lucky that I seem to have a pretty good vet. He took pics of Gooey to show his students, as he is teaching a vet class about exotics.
Thanks again for your support.
Grlphantom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Awwww!!! I really feel for you and your degu. I know how much I love mine. Degus are pretty hearty, so he'll probably come through the surgery okay. Did they say if he would grow another tooth? Is it one of his jaw teeth, or a front tooth? Jaw teeth probably aren't as important for eating. I'll certainly say a prayer for him.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Nope, no new tooth for him, the entire thing is completely dead. My guess is that is probably why his last owner abandoned him at the pound. So sad! Luckily it is one of his back grinders... well, I know it's not one of the fronts. Not so easy to see the back ones, but somehow the vet gets his little light in there to see it. And thanks for the prayers for him, they are greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Sorry to hear about your sick degu.. One of mine has been through surgery, but not for his teeth.. Keep us informed..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 02:30 AM
Adolescent Pup

AWW, i hate it when degu's get sick! i really hope he gets through surgery ok and makes a full recovery. he's in good hands now you have rescued him, your doing the right thing IMO. hope he's fit and well soon x good luck x

Jo x x x

[Mr & Mrs Degu and 3 babies!]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Just letting you all know he is in at the vet now. No news yet, which I guess is a good thing. I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for him. He certainly was nice and strong going in, the day before he had tossed all of his new bedding out onto the floor! It was as if he knew we were taking him the the 'dentist' and wasn't so thrilled. Well, no one really likes getting their teeth worked on, so I can't blame him at all!
Thanks for all your kind thoughts!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwwww i hope he pulls through ok and i have everything crossed for you

Kirsty

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

hi, just wanted to update all of you! Well, the little guy is doing fine. The doctor put him under and x-rayed him. He couldn't find the bad tooth. According to the x-rays all of his teeth are very healthy. So, that leaves the question of why he was gtting sick wide open, but the doc says there does seem to be anything wrong with his mouth or head. yay! Now in order to get him really healthy, he is still sneezing a bit, the doc is keeping him on more meds for another 8 weeks. All in all it went well. Thank goodness!
Thank you all for your kindness!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

How is your degu? Was the operation a success?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

im glad he didnt have to go through an operation. hope he gets well soon x

Jo x x x

[Mr & Mrs Degu and 3 babies!]
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm glad to hear he pulled through ok as its the going under the anaesthetic thats the worst thing in small animals but he's ok and thats the main thing! I hope he's feeling his chirpy self very soon and keep us posted on how he's doing and if you find out what caused it

Kirsty

Tags
doing fine, humane society