sick old girl - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

sick old girl

I work in a fishstore that leases a spot inside a pet feed store. Although we are not in any way afiiliated with the feed store i still care for, and play with the small animals. A few months ago a family dropped off two 4 year old degu's that they just didnt want anymore. Neither had been handled and they had been eating hamster food all their lives and living in who knows how small a cage. I slowly switched them over to a diet of a 50/50 mix of chin and guinea pellets, with timothy hay and fresh veggies each week. The two degu's are male and female and the female was pregnant when they arrived. I noticed right away that the females ears were both bald and very white looking, and that they turned red and irritated quite often. I took a peek inside and realized that she probably had mites. I treated her and the male with small animal mite medication and the problem seemed to clear up, though her ears remained bald. Since then she has given birth to her litter (10 youngins!), but unfortunatly i was not working on the day she gave birth and noone knew to seperate the male. So now, almost 3 months later she is ready to pop with another litter, and i noticed that once again her ears are looking red, and there is black goo in her ears she also itches them very frequently. I looked at her more carefully and found that her paws were all bald just like her ears and her tail hair is thinning considerably. Im worried about this old girl, is there anything else i can do? I dont want all of her kits to catch something if she is contagious. If anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them. Thanks

Please note: I have tried to bring her to a vet but because she is not my animal i do not have the right. I would buy her and take her home, but i have 12 degu's of my own and cannot house anymore, also i would not want to risk infecting my sweeties...

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

OMG! That is so sad! Maybe she is depressed and has been pulling her own fur out.. What has happened to the babies, did they get new homes?Why dont you ask anyone on here if they could take her in temporarily.. I wish I could help, but I live too far away.. Keep us informed..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree totally with Steph. It could be a sign of depression as she has now chewed it off her feet and tail, the fur missing on her ears could be from the male over preening her which is probably more than likely. Another thing could be that it is a sign of an underlying cause as sometimes degu's chew patches of fur off if there is something else wrong as a stress mechanism and from what you have described i definately think she has ear mites and the irritation from this could cause her to pull her fur out inorder for her to cope. I'm afraid though thats something only a vet can deal with as she will need antibiotics to clear any infection up. I'd also be worried about her age and her becoming pregnant again so soon as its a major stress on her body and she might have problems so she needs a very close eye keeping on her for the next few months of which i'm sure you will do Please keep us informed on how she is doing!

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hi everyone . I've treated the mommy and daddy both with small animal mite medication, and im going to treat again in 10 days. I was worried that it would be unsafe to treat the mother with the medication while she is pregnant, but i thought if i didnt then the babies would all have it and wouldnt be old enough to treat for quite some time, which would just prolong this problem. So i asked my vet and she told me it would be okay, and to go ahead with the treatment. I also had my mom come in and take a look at her, ( she was a vet assistant for 6 years ) and she said that the balding paws and tail do look stress related, like purplebunny and amesthystbelle had said. So i'm hoping and praying for the best. Thanks for your help! Oh and purplebunny, the mommies litter of 10 went to great homes, 5 boy's went together, 3 girls found a home together, and I adopted one boy ( he was much smaller and weaker than the others and also hurt his paw, but hes 100% now ) and the other boy lives at the store with his dad.

Lois Isabel

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Glad to hear shes getting treated and shes now hopefully on the way to recovery, are you using stuff specially for ear mites or something else ?

Kirsty

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawn
Hi everyone . I've treated the mommy and daddy both with small animal mite medication, and im going to treat again in 10 days. I was worried that it would be unsafe to treat the mother with the medication while she is pregnant, but i thought if i didnt then the babies would all have it and wouldnt be old enough to treat for quite some time, which would just prolong this problem. So i asked my vet and she told me it would be okay, and to go ahead with the treatment. I also had my mom come in and take a look at her, ( she was a vet assistant for 6 years ) and she said that the balding paws and tail do look stress related, like purplebunny and amesthystbelle had said. So i'm hoping and praying for the best. Thanks for your help! Oh and purplebunny, the mommies litter of 10 went to great homes, 5 boy's went together, 3 girls found a home together, and I adopted one boy ( he was much smaller and weaker than the others and also hurt his paw, but hes 100% now ) and the other boy lives at the store with his dad.
Great news about the homes!
Keep us informed of how you are getting on...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

Ha, I wish I could even pick my girls up to even pet them. I couldn't imagine administering medication to them...they would think I'm killing them. I noticed my girls have what seems to be black inside their ears too. I thought this was normal, like human ear wax.

Look Into My Voice
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Big momma had her babies this morning. I had a feeling she would have and as soon as i got to work i peeked in, and there were four squealing youngsters, and by the end of the day eight. Im glad it wasnt another big litter of ten, it wasnt easy finding perfect homes for the last litter. So many people were interested in buying them as snake food, due to the shortage of live feeder mice and rats in our area i decided to do some prevention, I had written an information sheet just in point form, the basics of degus, and at the top i fibbed, "degu's are known to kill snakes in their native chili" im in no way a liar, but i wasnt going to let them be eaten by any snake. In the end they all found wonderful homes and all of their new owners come in to pick up food and such and fill me in on how the babies are doing. Anyways im going way off topic here. Im just glad that all of the babies were born healthy and that the mommy made it through the delivery. Now if those ear mites will just go away we will be doing just fine. The medication i used is specifically for ear mites, it was designed for small animals such as rabbits and guinea pigs, so i just gave a little bit less than it said to for guinea pigs. I cant remember what its called right now, and the bottle stays at work because it belongs to the store but i can get the name if you are interested Sorry for the long post

Lois Isabel

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwwww that was a great thing you did, i would have told them the same as mine scare the cat so a snake would be nothing

As for the ear mites the reason i asked was originally you said ear mites then yesterday you just said mites so i was getting confused, its a blonde thing so don't worry

Keep us posted on how they are doing

Kirsty

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

One of my degus chased Harvey around the back room last week!
Great news that mum had a safe birth.. Keep us informed about all the babies etc..

Tags
ear mites, guinea pig, hamster food, snake food, timothy hay