Sleeping Boxes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Sleeping Boxes

My goos use a hammock, but refuse to use a sleeping box. I've put one in several times - they just pee on it though.
Don't really know why...

Don't think it's doing them any harm or anything, just wondering how hard and fast these rules all are, so -

where do your degus sleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My degu sleeps in this bed:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...sText=cozy&N=2

But I've had degus who have liked to sleep in the wheel before .

Mine never slept in the nestbox either but they like to play in/on it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Those are really cute, I caught my goos eating the fluff off of one of their old hammocks though and I get a bit paranoid they'll choke on it or hurt their feet or something...You hear so many horror stories.

They use everything for a bit of time without problems and then decide they want to eat it! Gotta love 'em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My current girl isn't a big chewer . She tears at the bed a bit but never actually eats it. When I had Rosie I could never have beds or hammocks since she ate everything. Thanks to her I had to get a new cage, food dish, and carrier .

The degu I have now, Hikaru, even has a stuffed dog. There are no signs of her even nibbling on it .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:21 PM

Talking

Our 3 never used a nesting box. Not even when 1 turned out to be a male and 2 litters arrived. I thought for sure that the nesting box would be used, then. Nope.
Ours have a "blankie". They carry it around to where they want to sleep, in a corner, in the wheel, on a rock, on the hay pile. Where ever they can drag their piece of fleece.
We are homing the pups now, and each pair gets a piece of their blankie sent with them to their new home. Some adopters have contacted me stating that the pups drag their blankie around where they want the snuggle
I guess they have thier own ways like people. Also learning from their parents!

Laurie
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

All of my boys have a nest box and only two of them use one the rest love the slumber tunnels they all have, they either sleep inside when its cool or they all sleep on top like they would on a hammock when its warm. Girlrazor have you tried hammocky hammocks all of there stuff is fantastic and totally safe. I've had problems with degus chewing in the past and one actually got his leg stuck in a petshop brought hammock which he was in the process of destroying (thankfully no harm was done) but since using them they haven't destroyed any of their hammocks or slumber tunnels

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 AM

My girls have a nesting box. They destroy anything made of material (particuarly if its made of denim!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

I haven't tried hammocky hammocks but I have heard of them, I just didn't know anyone who used them before!
I'm glad my goos aren't just weird then!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Will It Ever Change?

my girls sleeps up high on anything i put up there. i have a wire basket at the top of her cage, with cloth down, then bedding litter and sticks, she makes her little cozy spot there, or on a perch of wood. when her sis was alive they'd stash things in the hammock and chew holes in it, run across it....but not a lot of sleeping in it. they'd cram themselves on a wood perch and sleep away, or a corner wood shelf. in the wild degus use sticks in their nests to show heirarchy, the more/bigger the sticks, the higher in the hierarchy they are. i give her sticks daily as "treats" because i have yet to find a treat she likes lol. she likes the sticks, she'll even drag them up the cage to put in her sleepy spot. she also loves popcan cases (those 12 pack boxes), loooooves those, sometimes she's sleep on top of it lol but she builds nice nests in there. even before vala passed, i always had a pop box on the floor of their cage, slept in it daily

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
nest box