So we got the 2nd Degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Talking So we got the 2nd Degu

Hello all..

We doubled checked Alex to be sure he is a little boy then headed for the hour drive to the pet store. We bought a second Degu Marty, and made sure he too is a little boy.

So we get home and put Marty in the shower stall a big 4x5 glass stall with Alex in his cage in the middle of the stall. We left them like this for about 2 hours. After we watched and saw no signs of fighting just them trying to groom each other thru the bars.

So we opened Alex's cage up and let him go in the stall with Marty. They have made a few chirping noises at each other while taking turns trying to mount each other. So far they've gotten along great. These two were together at the pet store just one week ago so I think that is part of our success.

My only question is..... Is it normal for them to pee on each other? They both do it one will walk up to the other and lift his little hind leg shooting out a bit of pee onto the other. Then the one that got pee'd on runs to the dust bath flips around and gets out then does the same pee thing to the other.

Thanks.. M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congratulations

I think your sucess is probably down to the fact they probably still smell simular as its only been a week since they was together so they recognise one another in a Degu kinda way which is brilliant news The urinating on one another is just scent marking to show that they are each others territory to any stray degu's who just might happen to appear on their patch. Its perfectly normal and they should calm down pretty soon its all part of the bonding process

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!! They made it thru the night without a hitch so today we will move them from the shower stall to the new cage. Every time I checked on them last night they were cuddled up sleeping then would wake up when the bathroom door opened. I had to stop checking on them about 1am and get some sleep of my own.
I'm really glad we didn't wait any longer to get our second Degu as I'm sure it would of been much harder to introduce strangers to each other.

Thanks for all the help and I'm sure I'll be a regular poster once I get past this 10 post thing..

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats!!

Glad it went so well . I'd love to see pictures .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 06:02 PM

Aww! I love to hear about happy degus, they always make me smile I'm glad everything worked out and I'm glad that Alex has a new cuddle-buddy!! Best wishes for you and your Degus
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 07:22 PM

Congrats on your 2nd one, look forward to seeing some pics!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 05:19 PM

Bless!! That's lovely news! Am so pleased for you and your 'babies'.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Another update... We moved them to the big cage after a huge fight with Petco because the cage was damaged in transit and we had to fight to be able to do an even exchange in the store.

They LOVE the new cage it's 32x32x61 and boy are they having a ball in it. We placed it in my formal living room as we use the room so they will get attention but it's also more quiet then my family room. I'm really shocked I thought for sure they would hate my 30 month old daughter BUT they LOVE HER!! She goes up to the change and calls them "momma and dadda" why I have no idea. They see her and run to the area of the cage she's standing next to and when she sticks her fingers in they do the same nibble kiss thing they do to me. When she moves around the other side they run over there as she giggles like crazy at the site of them running,climbing and jumping.
I'll have pics after Christmas as I'm really busy right now..

M

Tags
dust bath, pet store