Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Something is wrong with my degu......

5K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  Italian Buju 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I am a brand new member, just came across this forum when I was looking for information about my sick degu boy.....hoping someone can help me.....

I have one lone degu now, his brother passed away two months ago from a penis infection. For the last two months, this boy has been doing great, and I know they do not recommend having one lone degu, but with his partner gone, he has been very attached to us, and I also know a girl that had a lone boy for over eight years. So, well I know this is not ideal, it is what it is.....

So, here is the problem....he stopped eating several days ago. It took a few days before we realized, and now we are really worried...last night he stopped eating vitamin blocks as well, and this morning will not even take treats. Apparently, he ate a walnut this morning, but nobody actually saw it. He is drinking. He is playing and such, but his weight has dropped from 230g to 180g (yesterday, I am scared to weight him today :()

Of course, because of the long weekend, his vet is closed until Tuesday, and I am worried at this rate, he might not make it to the vet. Any advice at all would be appreciated....

Thanks
Italian Buju

See less See more
#3 ·
I would get him to an emergency vet if possible, try calling your regular vet's number and see if they have any emergency vet info.

In the meantime, you can mash up his pellets (and maybe some carrots or something similar) with water and syringe feed him some food. If you have access to Critical Care (they might sell at your pet store, it depends on your area), that would be a good thing to use right now.

Good luck. Is he eating hay?

#6 ·
My son typed that last reply, as I was busy, and it was suppose to read:

"He isn't really having many bowel movements and when he does they are really smell"

Is suppose to be:

He isn't really having many bowel movements and when he does they are really small

We figured about three teaspoons a day for him, which is what we thought from what the label said, we had it leftover from the other degu that died two months ago....I gave him a teaspoon at dinnertime, and another one now....he really hates it and fights it off a lot....I am worried I am going to hurt him when we hold him down, as he does fight so. He still will not eat anything on his own, and has been just laying around the last few hours. I am hoping to get him into a vet as soon as I can, I just hope they will be able to save him, the last one, the vet said he was going to be fine, and then he died over the weekend.....I dont know how much even small animal vets know about degu.....I just dont know what else to do for him, but my heart is breaking, and I dont really know what is bothering him to make him feel better.....

#8 ·
Sorry, I just noticed the rest of the post....it doesnt seem like he is eating any hay, and he was drinking this morning, but I havent noticed that as of tonight....
Also, the emergency vet in our area only really deals with cats and dogs....I tried them last time, when my last boy was dying, they told me they do not deal with rodents....

#9 ·
It's good that he's fighting it, as hard as it is. He hasn't given up.

Good luck. There are degu-experienced vets out there but you often have to call around. If you're not satisfied with the regular vet, considering asking a different one for a second opinion.

#10 ·
He still is barley eating on his own, only one pellet here and there.....I am going to call his vet today, I dont think he knows too much about Degu, but deals with small animals.....I tried last time when my other boy was dying, and no vets around here know about them it seems.....my kids and I already decided this would be our one lone degu experience, as we feel they are too hard to take care of.....

#11 ·
I thought the vet would be open on Tuesday? You really need to get him in asap, not just call.

Degus aren't really difficult to care for but it is important (as you're finding out) to have a degu-experienced vet in your general area. If your vet doesn't see degus, ask him if he can recommend you to a vet who does. Try "exotic animal" vets (they often see birds and reptiles), too.

#12 ·
Sorry, been so busy with him, forgot to update here....when I called on Tuesday, the vet the does small animals was not there, and was only there Wednesday, and Thursday morning....still messed up by the holidays, but will be back Monday as per his usual schedule....

Anyway, he went yesterday, and the vet said he could not find anything wrong with him, so was assuming that he has a sore throat or tooth, or something to that nature. So, we have him on a round of meds for 10-14 days, and going to continue the hand feeding....if he is not eating on his own after ten days, I have to bring him back for another check up....

I hope he gets better....anyone have a similar experience where they could not find what was wrong, but he still got better??

#13 ·
Sore throat? That seems odd but possible, I guess. Did the vet check his teeth? Make sure they aren't overgrown or anything (that would make it difficult for him to eat).

Good luck with him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.