Spraying Resolved!?!?!?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Spraying Resolved!?!?!?!

I think I've finally figured out a resolution to our spraying problem! We cleaned the walls near the cage with vinegar to get rid of the urine smell, then we washed them with water. We did not clean the pan this cage cleaning and just changed the chips as we wanted them to keep urinating in the same corner. The chips were also changed from Carefresh to aspen. If we do catch them urinating on the upper levels of the cage, we say, "NO!" very loudly and sometimes take the offending squirrel out of the cage and move them to the bottom of the cage in the hopes that they urinate in the aspen chips.

This process seems to have cut down on the urinating outside the cage considerably. We are also going to wash the cage in vinegar this weekend to make sure the smell of urine is totally out of the environment. I find that also wiping down the bars where they do urinate helps too, as they cannot smell it and go again in the same spot.

I have to say that this has made me more aware of how fussy and picky degus are in terms of their environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 PM

cool good job.... looks like your taking good care of those goos of yours... do you have pictures of them
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I have a pic of them in my avatar but will have to search for some older ones. Our digicam went south about six months ago so I have not been able to take any recent pix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Will It Ever Change?

glad you got it fixed!! the problem....not the critter lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, they are urinating outside the cage less and less. I think this is a very viable solution to the problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 AM

I'm glad I saw this post. We just got our boys last week and moved them into a bigger cage this weekend. The first cage was small and had only one small wire shelf so the only problem was the amount of waste in the bottom. ;-P The new cage has big wooden shelves and I noticed they were peeing on them. I had read this post before and remember the vinegar idea, so I have started wiping down the shelves and cage near them with vinegar, hoping to eliminate a problem before we have one with spraying. So thanks for the info!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

glad you've solved your problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
cage cleaning