Strange Behavior my Degu is doing :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Strange Behavior my Degu is doing :(

Hey everyone,
One of the Degus I have is doing this strange pacing thing. He has a multi level cage and he will go up to the upper level and go back and forth with his head and sometimes he'll hop back and forth. It's really odd He does this a lot and it just started a couple days ago. It started out being funny, but now I'm kinda worried. Has anyone else experienced this or know what I should do?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Does he live with any other degus? How often does he come out to play? And is his balance off at all?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

No he doesn't live with another one. He gets out to play 2 or 3 times a day by various people in my family. He also has constant attention, so i don't think he's lonely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Degus really shouldn't be kept alone. The pacing you described is typical of lone degus...it's often a boredom thing. Would it be possible to get him a buddy? Or is he alone due to fighting?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

He's alone because he has always been that way. hes almost 3 and has always been alone. I think that attempting to introduce another degu could have a bad outcome because of that. I fear that he will be territorial if another one is introduced. I was afraid he was getting stressed out over something but if hes just bored then hes fine right?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

He wasn't always alone, he must have had siblings at some point. He knows how to deal with other degus. Degu introductions aren't that hard when done slowly, especially if you introduce him to a baby. If nothing has changed in his environment to stress him then, yes, it's probably boredom...which is still stressful. Degus are extremely social, active animals. I'd recommend you look into getting him a friend. In your first post you said "one of the degus"...do you have any others that he could live with?

~Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Newborn Pup

Degus will die of depression if alone long enough. That's what the experts say.

Tags
degu, degu behavior