Tell Degu Stories - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Talking Tell Degu Stories

Hello everyone,

Since I like hearing animal stories, I thought I would start a thread dedicated to telling stories about degus - or just anything about them in general. I love telling anyone I can about the crazy things my Newo and Lemon do, and I'm sure some of you are the same way. If so, give a reply about something funny or interesting your degus have done, or just talk about how they've been lately.

To begin, I'd like to let everyone know that my bickering male degus are getting along quite well now. They haven't fought as violently as they first did for about 2 weeks. They're becoming really active now and I can barely stop them from running out of the cage on to my hand whenever I open it. Newo is the more lively of the two, and is the first to run out to greet me when I open the cage, but Lemon is getting alot braver as I gain more of his trust. Overall they're turing out to be great pets. I've got a new and bigger cage on the way, which I can't wait to get them into. Hope you guys are all having as much fun with your degus as I am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My two favourite stories of all the boys i have had are about escapes. I've never had any real escapes as i check the cage 50 times a day but i have been over run by the little critters. The most funny story i have is of the 4 younger degu's that i own and it happened a few months ago. I was cleaning them out and for this purpose i have a smaller cage and they always protest about going in it Anyway i finally got them all in after much hassle and i got about cleaning the main cage out. I had just about finished when i heard a lot of noise so i went to investigate and whatever they were doing they had stopped and they were all stood near the door looking so cute and appealing so i thought i would give them 5 minutes attention. Big mistake as, as soon as i opened the door they over run me, all four. I was on my own and they was running every which way. I managed to grab one and put him away and then another and as i put him back in the first one i caught managed to escape again. I finally got them all back in after about 10 minutes or so of that game, they was still full of beans, I on the other hand was very tired. Since then i keep the door locked up with a padlock as they now have learnt if they push it enough it will spring open. Apart from that one of my first degu's Nipper escaped once when i was putting him into his cage and he was running around my parents living room using the dog as a practise for his mountaineering skills. He was hard to catch as he used to like to bite hence the name. But he was fearless, he used to go up to the dogs and even the cat was scared of him

Apart from that all 7 of them do funny things all of the time, such as Basil was using a corn on the cob as a pillow last week and he builds trenches to spy on the cats and Bertie and Herbie will shout me as soon as they hear or see me and won't stop till i give them lots of attention. I love my boys to pieces and would never be without them, infact i can't wait to get more

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 01:19 PM

My degus often get funny ideas in their heads. Jay will try to rid the cage of every single piece of bedding. I'll come upstairs to check on them and the floor will be COVERED in wood shavings and there will be next to nothing left in the cage. I also swear he throws his poop, lol.

Oh man, escapes are so scary. My story wasn't really an escape so much as poor planning on my part. I had just gotten the two degus (first time degu owner) and I figured it would be okay to take them out of the cage to play on the floor. Before I did, I blocked every hiding place I could think of with pillows and blankets. So everything was going well until they both darted in different directions and weaseled their way under the pillows to crawl under a very heavy dresser and my tv stand, respectively. I was panicking because I didn't know what was under there that they could eat (I've had a cat eat a sewing needle before so I was worried about something like that). I tried getting Jay out from under the tv stand first and it took me a good half hour. By the end I was nearly crying out of frustration and worry. It took me another half hour or so to get Silent Bob out from under the dresser. I felt so bad because he was so stressed out and scared (I was so panicked that I was just trying to grab him). It was a rough day for all of us, lol. It turned out okay in the end but I learned my lesson. No room is ever degu proof except the bathroom (and even then, they'll eat the darn paint right off the walls if you don't watch them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Lol, they are real characters!!

Mine have a particular squeak that they use soley for me - it's a demand really, an 'oi, let us out!' squeak.

I have also noticed that they like me to be there when they come out, they seem insecure if I'm not with them. I'm very fortunate and my degus live in a conservatory (which gets no sun whatsoever so it's always nice and cool' so occasionally I let them out to play whilst I'm doing something else as I can keep an eye on them through the French windows that connect the living room with the conservatory. Whenever I do that though, they all end up back in their cage with the door still open. The minute I go in there they all come running out and usually sit on my knee. They will sit on my knee for ages. I think I'm their favourite toy......

They are trained to go back in the cage when I rattle a plastic box containing pumpkin seeds, as soon as they hear the rattle they go in the cage and wait to get a seed. This has proved to be very handy!!!

I love 'em to bits.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that's really neat that you have them trained to go back in the cage.

I've noticed that my Lemon makes a particular noise now also when I approach the cage. I never hear him make it any other time so I guess its just for me - probably telling me to give him a treat
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 AM

Probably so! I got 'sworn at' by Basil today, when I told him off for eating the rug! He didn't like it and gave a real grouchy chirrup! Lol!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I love the noises they make especially when they are annoyed with one another or me and it sounds like they are swearing. Bertie and Herbie have a noise they only use for me and they use it everytime they see or hear me and its so cute

I also have my boys trained, i trained to recognise the treat jar so whenever they see it they line up at the door and each have to give me a kiss before they receive their treat

Kirsty

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 AM

My boys think they're getting a treat every time anything makes a rustling noise in the room (their shredded wheat comes in a paper bag which makes a noise when I get some out).

Heh, I forgot to mention this before but Silent Bob has a really interesting way of using the wheel. He stands behind it and uses his paws to spin it really fast. He looks like he has so much fun, lol. Sometimes he does that while biting onto the side (so it grinds against his teeth as he spins it). He's so weird, lol.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
Heh, I forgot to mention this before but Silent Bob has a really interesting way of using the wheel. He stands behind it and uses his paws to spin it really fast. He looks like he has so much fun, lol. Sometimes he does that while biting onto the side (so it grinds against his teeth as he spins it). He's so weird, lol.
Some of my boys do the whole spinning thing too, they get hit and allsorts by the wheel but they never learn, they also do it when one is in the wheel as well. They also go round in the wheel with they're heads sticking out its a wonder they haven't been knocked out before now but they never learn, there is nothing as strange as degu's

Kirsty

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Funny story: Yesterday I was just observing Newo in the cage. At the time he happened to be really hyper and running around chewing on things, climbing the cage, and randomly hopping in the wheel. I have two plastic bowl type wheels - not the normal metal kind - setu up fairly close to each other, hanging from the side of the cage. He decided that instead of going IN the wheel, he wanted to go ON TOP of it. Soon he was running pretty fast to keep from sliding off and it was quite amusing to watch. Then, he started to roll forward towards the other wheel and couldn't stop himself, almost being steamrolled between the two! He jumped off onto the bottom of the cage and eventually settled down. Crazy degus...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 05:44 PM

I keep thinking that degus are the "Super Dave Osbornes" of the pet world.

Tags
pumpkin seeds, shredded wheat, wood shavings