They finally let me hold them! :fun: - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Talking They finally let me hold them! :fun:

I've had my degus for about a month. I got them from a rescue situation - their owner was a young boy who really wanted a hamster. When I got them they had wire floors and a hamster wheel - one of the tiny ones for dwarves with the wire rungs. They'd run in it with their front paws . They didn't want to be touched for a long time. The first time I cleaned their cage I let them out, but had a hard time getting them back in, which didn't help matters. I started hand feeding them - one was more bold than the other, which I think is usually the case. Eventually the bolder one let me pet her with one finger behind the ears. And things were like that for a couple weeks. But yesterday I was cleaning them out (with them in the cage like I've been doing ever since the first time) and they both crawled up on to me! Unfortunately my son (almost two) was there "helping" me clean out the cage despite my efforts to get him interested in something else so the love fest didn't go on as long as I would have liked. The bolder one actually curled up in my hand! So if anyone else out there is trying to tame degus - don't give up! It's worth it! And you can try taking all the stuff out of their cage - maybe they just came to me 'cause they were bored. Thanks all for this forum - I really enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mine crawl all over me too when i clean their cage out and i hardly ever get anything done Sometimes i think its just time they need to settle in and form a bond of trust with you especially when its been a rescue situation where they might not have been receiving the adequate care that they really require. Plus degus are nosey little critters anyway so was only a matter of time! I think thats its down to your dedication as much as anyone that they have become tame towards you, welldone

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's great! Hikaru used to be shy and now he rides on my shoulder. I'm still working on Ichigo and I think I'll tame her eventually.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:33 PM

Red face

They do learn to trust you, mine sit in my hands and eat their treats.. Aswell as crawl all over my shoulders etc.. They really are nosey little critters!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 08:31 AM
red

Cool

Hey Bunny, What do you give them as treats??

Red
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 05:34 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
Hey Bunny, What do you give them as treats??

Red
I give mine Bitesize Shredded Wheat or these cute little treats that are in the shape of carrots.. Aswell as a tiny bit of brown bread or a bit of Ryvita..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:49 AM
red

Thanx for the info Bunny, but what about lil bits of fresh/dried fruit? I was advised to give raw carrot and sweet potato (not sure they like sweet potato). Have also tried raw cauli/broccoli.

Red

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:11 PM

i got my degus in october they were pretty good about taming and now i can't shut them up i get called and chattered to and TOLD OFF! they become really affectionate once they have decided to accept u. at the moment they are lying all snuggled up together. they make me smile!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:01 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
Thanx for the info Bunny, but what about lil bits of fresh/dried fruit? I was advised to give raw carrot and sweet potato (not sure they like sweet potato). Have also tried raw cauli/broccoli.

Red

You said treats? I give them fresh veggies every few days inc carrot, cucumber. lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, curly kale, broccolli and baby sweetcorn, not all at once but whatever I have in small quantities.. I dont give them dried fruit or veg because they eat the fresh veg, but very occassionally I do give them a raisin each!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:36 PM

Degus & treats

I have 2 degus that I've had for about 2 & 1/2 years. I always give them a treat when my Prairie dogs get a treat, they climb up to the top of their cage, they would not let me hear the end of it if they were ever left out, I give them either fresh baby carrots, an almond, or sweet potatoe, mine LOVE sweet potatoe. I don't hold mine very often, they are more interested in running around when I let them out, but when I do manage to catch one, he will let me hold him & scratch him....for a little while, then he wants to run some more. They make the FUNNIEST noises I have ever heard, they sound like fussy old men squabbling & arguing all the time, or just 'talking' to each other, it is quite entertaining.
Lisa&gang

Tags
dried fruit, prairie dog, prairie dogs, shredded wheat