tooth problem!!! urgent - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

tooth problem!!! urgent

pinky has been grinding his teeth for some time now... i took a look at his teeth and one of his front top teeth is gone! im thinking a vet visit asap is what he needs... i have no idea how he coulda lost a tooth :/ any more information or opinions would be great thx
... hes running around like normal and eating fine thats prob why i didnt notice till i just looked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:50 AM

Is it gone at the gum or broken off? My eldest degu Lucy went a little too far while chewing her branches one day and broke one of her prominent two top teeth. It grew back nice and orange in no time as their teeth grow continuisly. If it is gone at the gums though i would bring him to the vet as that could mean it was a dead tooth, infected tooth etc. Good luck!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's do grind their teeth regularly, they do it to grind their teeth down and when they are annoyed etc.... So it is nothing out of the ordinary so don't blame yourself. Is the tooth broken off? Or completely missing? If its just broken and he is eating and acting normally and hasn't lost any weight then he should be ok as he could have had this tooth missing for a while and it will grow back (my guinea pig lost a tooth and he was fine). If its completely missing i would keep a close eye on him and maybe give your vet a ring to see what they say and if they suggest taking him down it might be worth a visit. I hope he is ok, give him a hug from me and my boys

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

the tooth is completly missing... he seems to be grinding his teeth almost constently. he is eating fine and acting normal. i think i should give my vet a call just in case... pinky gives tiny degu hugs back
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If its completely missing then definately give your vet a call and see what they say. As even if you have to go down there and it turns out to be ok its better to be safe than sorry. Let us know how you get on

Kirsty

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

when i call the vet should i ask if they've had expirence in treating degus?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would personally to make sure they know what they are doing. But most small animal vets should have some experience with rodents

Kirsty

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:30 PM

I've had lots of small animals lose their front tooth/teeth. They do have other teeth, and these teeth grow back very quickly. This happens because they are chewers by nature, and often will chew too long and hard.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:46 AM

My Boost's teeth I have noticed started the two splitting close to the ends of the teeth, I guess she got a good nibble on something and torqued it one way. I wonder if they will continually grow crooked now?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:02 PM
SwC

Definitely ask if the vet has experience with Degus as although most vets have rodent experience each species tend to have thier own particular issues. Same as my prairie dogs, they are rodent family but finding vets that have any experience with them is almost impossible and they do have specific issues unique to them therefore I have to find an exotic and not all exotics are experienced. Degus I imagine have specific problems maybe other rodent species may not have. Any thing to do with broken teeth or missing teeth is a big issue with pd's I found out when it was too late for one of my babies. I know with my mice, rabbits, and rats broken teeth can come back maloccluded and if entirely missing can mean other issues related to the root or even the nasal cavity. Better to be safe then sorry later on.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Newborn Pup

Really Worried. Degu Tooth Problem. URGENT!! :(

I have two brother degu's, both a year old. Herb is a more slender Degu with a long tail, very active. Frankie is a tiny bit bigger around, short lil tail and alot more affectionate. Very perople orientated degus. I have own Degus previous, but none with more meaning than these two. They are my babies, Im worried tho I just noticed today when i gave them their occational treat, Frankie is MISSING his two front teeth, and one bottom. Therefore he has one bottom tooth :'( He couldnt take the treat from my hand, or even eat/hold a very light shredded slice of apple. I couldnt think of anything else soft to give him today. I am oblivious how he did that. They have a big 3 storey wooden cage, very safe. Very spoiled degus, Many wood toys, large wood house, 2 different sized wheels. water dish, and two seperated food dishes,etc. Im really worried, what should i feed my degu, everything they have is "hard" food, pellets, seeds, etc... Im scared, and would do anything for my Degus. I live in a small town, one vet, and they dont care for small animals. 4 hours aways from the closest city. Please help

Tags
guinea pig, prairie dog, prairie dogs, vet visit