Toy log I got for my Degu has Pine in it! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Toy log I got for my Degu has Pine in it!

I went out shopping for more toys today for my little goo girls and when I did, my son pointed out the log toy that we have in our cage and said, "Look, Mom! It says it has pine shavings in it!" I could have died. Again, my stupidity rises from not reading up BEFORE purchasing a new pet. When I got them, I asked the pet store what to get for them, and he was busy, he gave me food with molasses in it (my first mistake), next mistake was not knowing about the pine. I also purchased the log not long after. So, out came the log tonight. Thank God they chewed very little of it. So, I am posting a picture of the log... you can see it in their aquarium picture. The whole line of this type of product has the pine shavings in it. The cute little sofa (we had one of those too), for one day. The good news is, that my rat is now the owner of them! Anyway, here is the picture. Hope it helps someone else.

Oh, their cage now has a total make over too. It has a new water bottle that hangs on the outside of the cage that has the cutest little yellow ducky that floats on the inside of the water bottle that tells you when the water is low! They also have a hammock - sp?, an all natural nest ball, a huge paper tube I purchased just for them at PetSmart, a wheel that holds their timothy alfalfa hay that is on a stand and they have tons of toys to play with. They have become SO friendly I just love them both. They practically jump out of the cage and into my hands at night for their nightly treat. It is adorable. Their sounds never cease to amaze me. I could watch them for hours. What baffles me is that the petstores where I live have not got a clue as to what they are. Are they rare? I feel honored to have them. They are such little dolls. I intend to spoil them for as long as they are with me. They even know my voice and stop what they are doing now and come to the cage when they hear me. They seem so smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Glad you are enjoying them

Kiln dried pine is safe for degus and is one of the safer woods to use for degus infact its more so then to use it with rats as rats have sensitive respiratory tracts compared to degus. I believe the pine used in the logs is kiln dried which is degu safe so i wouldn't over panic although its always better to be safe then sorry

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM

I've never gotten any of those kinds of toys, as they have honey in them. I thought that would be bad for Degus, as it's sweet.

Degus aren't well known in most places. So that makes it hard to know their needs. Most people have never heard of a Degu, and therefore know nothing about them. They don't imagine that a Degu has special dietary needs, so don't look into it before caring for Degus. Hopefully, with time, more information will be readily available.

They do make great pets, and I'm so glad yours are getting acclimated, and are making friends with you! My favorite feeling in the world is having Imana sit on my shoulder and groom my ear. They are fantastic little guys!!!

Tags
alfalfa hay, dried pine, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet store, pine shavings