Toys for goos - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Great, thanks for telling me! I was going to use the king you buy for birds b/c we have some of that for our parakeet. I will find some larger rocks for the cage. What exactly are pumice stones? I want to know what I'm looking for!

I got to go to Petco, and I found some giunea pig food that doesn't have any molasses in it but it has some glucose surup, which is just another form of sugar. Also I found some Sunseed Chinchilla food, chould I go with that?

I got to look at a lot of toys to get. I was going to get some bedding, but I wasn't sure what kind. I use regular pine bedding for my hamster and Rabbits, and it doesn't seem to harm them ( I know what they say about the pine bedding, it causes resperatory problems, But I have had four hamsters and three rabbits and it hasn't effected them!) I wasn't sure about the carefresh bedding as it is 7.00 for a small bag-non colored, it is $8-9 for the same size bag colored. I am going to use tissues and things like that for nesting material, since everyone says that works well. What do you use for bedding?

It was fun today at Petco, they had their halloween costum contest! What was the funnest part was that I got to be one of the judges! It was a blast! Although it was so hard to choose just three, all the costumes were sooo cute, as were the dogs, and the one cat!!

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by petluvr01 View Post
Great, thanks for telling me! I was going to use the king you buy for birds b/c we have some of that for our parakeet. I will find some larger rocks for the cage. What exactly are pumice stones? I want to know what I'm looking for!

I got to go to Petco, and I found some giunea pig food that doesn't have any molasses in it but it has some glucose surup, which is just another form of sugar. Also I found some Sunseed Chinchilla food, chould I go with that?

I got to look at a lot of toys to get. I was going to get some bedding, but I wasn't sure what kind. I use regular pine bedding for my hamster and Rabbits, and it doesn't seem to harm them ( I know what they say about the pine bedding, it causes resperatory problems, But I have had four hamsters and three rabbits and it hasn't effected them!) I wasn't sure about the carefresh bedding as it is 7.00 for a small bag-non colored, it is $8-9 for the same size bag colored. I am going to use tissues and things like that for nesting material, since everyone says that works well. What do you use for bedding?

It was fun today at Petco, they had their halloween costum contest! What was the funnest part was that I got to be one of the judges! It was a blast! Although it was so hard to choose just three, all the costumes were sooo cute, as were the dogs, and the one cat!!
Pumice stones look like square blocks of well, pumice. They're grey in color and pretty light.

No, the Sun Seed chinchilla food contains fruit if I remember correctly. Honestly, I haven't seen any degu-appropriate foods at our PetCo. Smaller petstores or online stores are your best bet.

You could always use aspen bedding...it's the same price as pine but perfectly safe . I use Yesterday's News now because I had a degu who seemed to be allergic to aspen...I never switched back because the YN doesn't make as much as a mess and is easier to clean. It's more of a litter then a bedding but since mine don't sleep on the bottom floor it doesn't matter much.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah the sunseed food does contain a lot of fruits. I will search around at some small petstores, b/c the petco where I live doesn't have anything else that doesn't have sugar or things like that in it. I will also look fo rthe pumice stones. I think I have saw them before, but didn't know what they where, I think they're pretty cheap, like .50 or 1.00 for a couple of them, so I'll search around.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 01:51 PM

yeah, I'd definitely not feed them chin food, but if the pet store carries that brand in chin, you can probably ask them to order degu formula for you (that is I'm currently feeding sunseed degu, and they love it) Or there are multiple places you can purchase it online. I ran into the same problem with the guinea pig foods, when I first got my goos, there were several GP pellets on the market that were suitable, but now 2 months later I can't find a single food without molasses or beet pulp. Luckily I found sunseed degu.
As for litter, I currently use a soft pine (though I usually try to stay away from pine) and they seem to do fine... If they are in a multi level cage, and not constantly in contact with the bedding what you have should be ok. The only thing I'd say to really stay away from is KayKob and other corn beddings.
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree shop around for your food as smaller places even if they don't stock the food might get you some in if they think it will guarantee your custom

I use kiln dried pine shavings and always have done without problems as in my opinion for degus its one of the safest options as unlike with rats, mice etc... it doesn't cause respiratory problems. At the end of the day its all down to personal preference though Bedding is down to personal preference too, some use tissues, kitchen towel etc... I personally use hammocks All my goo's have hammocks which they all sleep in, although they do all have houses too and in there i put straw and hay which they tend to fetch and take up into the hammock. I sometimes give them kitchen towel too which also finds its way into the hammock

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM

The litter/bedding I use in the bottom of my cages is called "Total Comfort". It is exactly like "Care Fresh" bedding, but about half the price. But it's true, bedding is personal preference. I used to use a corn cob bedding, but have since switched to the Total Comfort. I really like it.

For nesting materials, I mostly give kleenex and paper towels. But, when I make up the cages, I lay a good layer of newspaper down, and then put the bedding on top of that. Well, mine always dig up some newspaper and shred that for nesting too. They also use some of their hay.

PS - Too funny, mine spin the wheel too! That's hilarious.
post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I went to a small feed store yesterday to see if they had any food, they didn't but when I asked them they said they would check with their suppliers, and if they don't they would see if they could find a brand and then they could special order it for me. I feel so special!!!! I am awaiting for their reply.

I will look for that brand of shavings. Hey if its cheaper and still as good as the expensive stuff, I'm all for it!!! I have found some neat toys I want to buy, but my mom said it would be better if I waited till I got my cage to put the stuff in.

I was thinking, that I could put a tile in their cage to cover up some of the mesh so their little feet don't get hurt! Also I figured it would be ok, b/c I've heard that they manage their temp. when it gets really hot, and they stay cool.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

All my goo's have tiles on their shelves, they are a great idea for keeping them cool. Have a look around the home, ask your parents if they have any left over from decorating as they don't have to be special pet shop brought tiles, ceramic household ones work too I'm lucky my father is in the plumbing trade so often saves me marble tiles etc... which all the degus and chinnies love

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I know I can get really cheap ones from Home Depot, b/c I got some like 12 by 12 tiles there for only $1.00. So when the cage gets in I can measure the area where the tiles can go and then go to the store to see if they have any tiles that match what I am looking for.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MañasMom View Post
The litter/bedding I use in the bottom of my cages is called "Total Comfort". It is exactly like "Care Fresh" bedding, but about half the price. But it's true, bedding is personal preference. I used to use a corn cob bedding, but have since switched to the Total Comfort. I really like it
I found some at petco online, is it the kaytee brand? Right now there is a sale going on buy one 20 liter get one free. I am not sure if it is an online only thing though, i will check it out. It has some good reviews though, so I think I will probably go with that.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:27 PM

Yes, it is the Kaytee brand that I use. Hey, I didn't know it was on sale right now! I'll have to check into that, I could stock up too!
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I was wondering what type of wheel to use. I have seen the proper wheel on some websites, but I have also seen the price--$50-$80-- way out of my budget! There are some wire mesh wheels at petco, and some wire wheels that I have heard to put cardboard through, I can't do that with the mesh wheel. What does everybody else have? If possible I would love to see pictures so I know what to look for!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Hey Manasmom, how big is a 20 liter thing of the bedding? Is it a small package or large? I didn't know how much I shopuld get since I will be filling the bottom of my 10-gallon tank w/ shavings! I think that offer is online only, b/c I didn't see anything in the petco newspaper.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:22 PM

I use a normal mesh wheel from pet co
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I just seen a pic from another thread that had a wire wheel and it looked like they put duct tape on the out side of the wheel, would this work or no? I would think b/c that is the sticky side it would be really hard for them to run on until the stickyness wore off, but what do I know! Any pics?

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Tags
bird toys, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, carefresh bedding, chew toy, chew toys, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dog bed, dried pine, dried pine shavings, dwarf hamster, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig food, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, level cage, litter box, nesting material, pet owner, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, pig food, pine bedding, pine shavings, timothy hay, wire cage, wire mesh