Toys for goos - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Also, what size wheel is the best? At petco they don't have the inches or anything on it that I saw, only small, medium, large, giant, and really big, I'm guessing I would go with a large one, that looks like the right size.

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 PM

We usually get the 40 liter size bags of bedding. But that's because we have a large guinea pig cage that we use the same bedding for, and it has 2 messy pigs in it. That cage needs cleaned every 8 days or so, so they go through a LOT more bedding than my Goo. I think 20 liters would be plenty for just 1 cage of Degus, but usually you pay less per liter when you get the bigger bag. Just depends on the price though, sometimes, if the smaller bags are on sale, it's cheaper to get a couple of those instead.

I also use the normal, wire mesh wheel. Here's a picture of the kind I have:

I use the "Giant" size which is 11 inches. My personal opinion is to buy the biggest size that will fit in your cage. If it's too small, they'll have to arch their backs while they run, and that's not good for their backs. So I use the 11" size, and they can run totally flat on the bottom.
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks. I'll have to measure my tank. I was going to get the 20 litler one b/c it's on sale, so then I would have 40 liters to start me off, or more! So that type of wheel won't harm them at all? I know I hear all these things about wheels breaking their tales off and everything, I didn't want that happening. The next time I go to petco I will have to pick up one. What would you say the min. size is, just in case an 11" doesn't fit?

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 11:19 PM

From what I've noticed, the holes in the wire mesh wheel aren't big enough for a Degu tail to slip through. They're not big enough for a foot to slip through either, since Degus are pretty big compared to hamsters, gerbils, etc.

The first wheel I got was the "Regular" 8 inch size. I used those for quite awhile, until I found out "bigger was better". Other owners may use the 8 inch size, and there may not really be an issue or problem with it. I just felt better getting the bigger size. But my girls did use the 8" wheels for quite a while before getting their upgrade.

Neither of them were hurt or injured in any way using the 8" wheel. However, Chuqupa only chose to run on top of her wheel, as opposed to inside it. I thought that was cute, but then read somewhere that running on top can be a sign that the wheel is too small for them. After that I switched. I don't know how important it is, I just made that personal choice for my ladies.
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM

I use the same wheels as ManasMom, and we've never had problems with them. The wheel is more like a metal grid than just bars across the bottom. There's no danger of their tails slipping through. They do squeak though
The wheels, not the degus

I tried a smaller wheel, but none of the goos would use it. We have the big ones now.
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I had that type of wheel for my dwarf hamster, and found that when they squeak to just put some vegitable oil on it and it's good as new. I will go with the biggest wheel that'll fit.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM

My goos like to lick the veggie oil off of the wheel. They've all turned into a bunch of wheel lickers
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixidance View Post
My goos like to lick the veggie oil off of the wheel. They've all turned into a bunch of wheel lickers

LOL Oh my goodness, that is hilarious! Aren't Goos silly?

Hope Imana never starts licking hers. LOL
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I also use the mesh wheels without a problem, its the open barred wheels that people warn you about

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

OH... ok... I get it now! I just want something that won't hurt them!!

P.S. have you seen the post of goos up for adoption? Soo sad. I hope someone can help them out. I really wish I lived where all these goos need help! There is absolutlely no goos in my area that I can find.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I am being very creative. I am attempting to make a hammoke. I've already messed up with the sewing machine, so i have to start over. I want to make a hammock with fluffy sides on it, kinda like a dog bed. Looks like this one, kinda. It just has fluff around the edges. It's easy, if you don't sew it inside out like I did!!! LOL I was going to make one from an old pair of jeans, but I can't figure out my sewing machine. I can't even sew through fleece without it acting up on me!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I know this thread is getting kinda old, but I just have so many questions! I know I hate it when other people get an animal without doing any research, I don't want to be one of those people!

Anyways, I've heard that people use those bendable ropes, are they ok, I mean the rope and everything? Also, they come in like four different thicknesses, but the really thick one was also really short and $15, and the thin one was long and about $5. Which one is better? Thanks so much for all of your help!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't worry about all the questions, i think its great you want to learn as much as you can so you can be a fantastic degu owner, research is how we all learn so ask as many questions as you want even if you think its silly

I use rope in all my cages, they seem to love running across it as they are a lot more agile then they seem I would go for a medium thickness as they do like to have a nibble and they can and do strip rope so i wouldn't get anything too thin. Shop around and see if you can get something inbetween

Kirsty

post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Goodluck with the hammock too, i have the same effect on sewing machines, they see me and they break I buy all of mine from Hammocky Hammocks now as i can't find any better on the market. They are top quality and all machine washable and shipping is cheap even to the US plus all the proceeds go to small animal charities so it saves me the hassle and stress ;-)

Kirsty

post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Those are great Hammocks, the only thing is the currency. I don't know how to convert pounds--or whatever it is-- into US dollars.

The corner hammocks are so neat! I wouldv'e never thought of that! What about the slumber tunnels? Would they be ok, since goos tend to nibble--or so I've heard! That's a great page, I only wish it were in US currency and not only paypal! I'm not old enough for a credit Card, so that wouldn't work either!

Yes, there was a medium size of the bendable rope, I just listed the biggest and smallest. I will have to buy one--or two?--to put in the cage.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Tags
bird toys, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, carefresh bedding, chew toy, chew toys, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dog bed, dried pine, dried pine shavings, dwarf hamster, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig food, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, level cage, litter box, nesting material, pet owner, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, pig food, pine bedding, pine shavings, timothy hay, wire cage, wire mesh