Toys for goos - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I have tried the idea from somewhere to make hammocks out of denim. I cut a square out of an old pair of jeans and sewed some strips to hang it up with. All was good till this point. The denim started to fray. I didn't know what to do with it. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be good if they got ahold of a stray string. What do I do with it? I really like the idea as denim is nice and cool for them. Thanks

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

that might work. I will have to try it.

When I went to Wal-mart last night I saw, in the wild bird aisle, one of those suet things. I picked on e up b/c I thought I could easily put hay into it. I also picked up some timothy hay. I was wondering if plain regular hay would be ok for them? I have a ton of it for my bunnies, so i could get it easily

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ok, I don't know why my last post went before Amethystbelle's post. Anyways, it was supposed to be a comment on that one. Maybe it's b/c im on a school computer!!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petluvr01 View Post
that might work. I will have to try it.

When I went to Wal-mart last night I saw, in the wild bird aisle, one of those suet things. I picked on e up b/c I thought I could easily put hay into it. I also picked up some timothy hay. I was wondering if plain regular hay would be ok for them? I have a ton of it for my bunnies, so i could get it easily
Regular hay is ok too, my boys get timothy hay, regular hay, readigrass, straw and other dried grasses for variety and they also wear the teeth differently so its important to give them different grades of hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by petluvr01 View Post
ok, I don't know why my last post went before Amethystbelle's post. Anyways, it was supposed to be a comment on that one. Maybe it's b/c im on a school computer!!!
I think there maybe gremlins at work

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

What about iron on hemming??? It would be out of the degus way and from experience they don't tend to chew on denim all that much so would be safe to use or could you not fold down the edges and then stitch around them?

Kirsty

post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yes, I agree that gremlins might be at work. post #65 keeps ending up at the end, and all the other post end up before it! IDK, oh well, I suppose life will stilll go on!!!!

What is readigrass? Is it the pet grass that you can buy in the store? I was thinking of getting some of that, but I decided that I had better not, considering that I don't have any goos YET!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Oh, I just remembered something.

I was looking on the 'net for rat toys, and found a site where they had digging pits for rats. What they would do is put some dirt into a box, then they plant seeds-- they used parakeet seeds-- and when they started to sprout and become grass, they would let their rats in there to dig and eat the grass and unspouted seeds. I was wondering if this would be a good idea for goos. Also I didn't know about using parakeet seed or not. What do you think?????

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A digging pit is a great idea, i let my boys have one occasionally as a treat I use the digging pit seperately as well as with grass (i buy grass seed and plant it and allow it to grow then i let them have the box for a few hours) and they tend to gnaw the grass down and get soil everywhere and have a whole lot of fun

Kirsty

post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

So you buy just normal grass seed. I don't know if there is any different kinds, but if there is what is best to use? I was thinking of using a cat litter box for a digging pit. They are made up hard plastic and have high sides. I can even get the ones with a cover, and then dirt wouldn't go flying around!!!

I tried the idea with the denim and it worked. Thanks!!!!!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I just buy normal grass seed I also buy turf if i want something quick as you can buy a roll of top quality turf for as much as a box of grass seed here in the UK so sometimes i buy a roll of turf and cut a piece to size for the pot too

Kirsty

post #71 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

The next time I go to wal-mart, I will see what i can find. Although they have pretty much gotten rid of their garden stuff for the season!! I will keep a look out for the turf stuff too.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #72 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 08:27 PM

I think planting them a little grass garden is a GREAT idea! I never thought of that before!

I have a bag of "Cat Grass" seed for my kitty. I plant it for him to eat his grass inside. I think maybe I'll plant a flat for Imana now too! With some nice soil in it - she'd get grass AND a digging pit. This is a great idea!
post #73 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A word of warning cover the area around the cage as the soil gets everywhere, they manage to fling it quite a way

Kirsty

post #74 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Great! I thought it was a good idea too. I hope it works out for you, I have yet to try it. Tell me how it goes!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #75 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I was wondering what kind of dirt to use. They have all diff. kinds. I haven't had a chance to look for any grass seed yet, but that's on my to-do-list!!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Tags
bird toys, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, carefresh bedding, chew toy, chew toys, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dog bed, dried pine, dried pine shavings, dwarf hamster, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig food, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, level cage, litter box, nesting material, pet owner, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, pig food, pine bedding, pine shavings, timothy hay, wire cage, wire mesh