Toys for goos - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Arrow Toys for goos

I was wondering what sort of toys I should buy for my soon-to-be goos. Since there isn't any Degu toys, I didn't know if I should go with chin, rat, ferret, or some rabbit toys. Also, what do goos like to play with? I mean are they tunnelers like hamsters, or what? Do they like ferret hammocks, b/c I saw a lot of cute ones I could get. What size toys should I get, I have heard for the wheels to get about a 11" wheel, but for like tunnels and other things, what size? Would be great to know what kind of toys you have for your goos! Please post.

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Yes, I think your soon-to-be-Goos would LOVE a hammock! Mine love them, and take MANY comfy naps in there. One thing I'm big on is making my own toys. So I've made my own hammocks, tunnels, and other things.

For the hammocks, the first ones I made out of denim from an old pair of jeans. Those last a LONG time, but when they were worn out, I made new ones from scraps of a nice soft, cottony, terry-cloth fabric. These are a BIG hit, and are also lasting a long time.

Degus love to dig, and in nature, create complex tunnel systems for their homes. So if you can provide a digging pit, or at least some tunnels for them to walk through and play in, they'll be quite content! I have made my own tunnels. Some of my tunnels are made out of 3 inch PVC pipe that I got at the local hardware store. I got a really long pipe for pretty cheap, and cut it into the lengths I needed with a jig saw. Some of my other tunnels are made from the empty tube a big roll of linoleum flooring came on. It's like a gigantic paper towel tube. I cut that into the lengths I wanted too.

Several of us buy bird toys for our Goos, as Goos like to climb just like birds do. I have a Booda Rope Bird Toy - it's a bendable rope you can attach anywhere in the cage for your Goo to climb on, and they LOVE it. With bird toys, you're pretty much safe as long as you stick to the wooden toys - don't get the ones with cuddle fish or rawhides on them of course.

If you like making your own toys I have two that I make on a fairly regular basis that are big hits!

One is to take an empty tube from the toilet tissue, and put a couple of tidbits of something tasty in it. Then, stuff both ends with kleenex or papertowels. Your Goos will have to figure out how to get to the tasty tidbits - they love that! Then they'll have nesting material, and a tube to carry around.

The other one is to take a material scrap (maybe from an old sock, or an old t-shirt) and sew it into a pouch. Put a couple tasty tidbits in the pouch, and then sew it completely shut. Your Goos will have to figure out how to get to the tasty tidbit, and will love shredding the material!

Just a few ideas I hope will help you! Everyone else will have good ideas too!
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:25 PM

PS - Just remembered, another element I added with the last couple of years to the cages is rocks. A big mound of rocks for climbing. I have it set up so that to drink, she has to climb up on the rocks and she loves it! (And it looks cool to us humans too!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Besides the toys already mentioned I would recommend a bird playground . They are made for birds to play on when they are out of the cage and have lots of branches, ladders, bells, etc. I have one for my degus and they love it .

You can see part of it here:

Also, make sure there are plenty of fun chew toys. Flavored ones are always good for picky degus, hehe. Pumice stones are good although some degus ignore them. But they are really cheap so you don't have anything to lose. They'll wear down both the teeth and nails .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
rae

rocks a great idea i have a couple of perches for them to survey their kingdom lol ,and if your cage gets a source of natural light mine enjoy sunbathing and you can buy good wooven mats, oooh and hammock rope last longer than fabric my goo's love both, some people say wheel's mine both tured their noses up at the wheel any help
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've never had a problem with degus and a wheel yet, although the foursome did strop when they had to have a solid plastic one while we waited for new wheels to arrive after they broke two of theres I would leave the wheel in there, it might be just a case of they don't know what its for yet

We have rope, terracotta flower pots, hammocks, tunnels (both on the floor and hanging), rocks, ledges, hidey holes, branches, sandhouses, digging pits, grass mats, wheels, cardboard boxes (they all love them and they are free ) etc...

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Are degus too big for a normal sized toilet paper roll? I know I give them to my dwarf hamster, and he is just right. I was just wondering b/c above it says to give them that, I just thought that they were bigger than that.

Also, I want to put some big branches in their cage, for them to climb on and everything, do I still have to boil and bake them? I want to get a bunch of branches now b/c it's apple season, and I wont be able to get them pretty soon.

Some people suggested bird toys, should I go with the ones only made of wood, not the plastic ones? And what are they really interested in the bird toys, like the bell, mirror, perch, etc.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Normal sized toilet tubes are fine for degus to chew up but cut them down the centre as i know one or two of us on here have found a degu stuck in a tube in the past so its better to cut them to prevent this happening I also get carpet tubes. If you go to a carpet shop and ask they usually are happy to give you empty rolls that carpet has been rolled on for nothing, these are plenty big enough for degus to play in.

The apple branches sound fab I scrub and then pour boiling water on all larger branches, i pour water on them twice sometimes three times and then allow them to dry out for a week or so.

Regards bird toys go for the wooden ones as plastic will be chewed up in no time also becareful as to what kind of wood it is made from. I've found degus like mirrors in the past but on a whole i don't really buy bird toys as i prefer something a little bit more robust for in the cage. Sasamis play centre is fantastic so if you want to get some bird toys maybe incorporate them into an out of cage play area

Kirsty

post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

What about tunnel that are for ferrets? Would they enjoy them? I found some on awebsite and thought they looked interesting.
I wont be able to add it onto the cage, but for when I let them out into a playpen, this might be interesting.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Last edited by petluvr01; 10-27-2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: image didn't show up
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Tunnels for ferrets would be a good size, but don't expect to keep them very long. For how chewable they are, it's too expensive for my wallet.
Speaking of goo toys (I know this is kind of off topic, but it's funny) I was watching my goos the other night, and I noticed my male sitting beside his wheel. He was sitting there spinning it! He would grab the side bar and pull and the wheel would go spinning. then he'd do it again, and again, it was so funny. The best part was, every time another goo would try and run on the wheel while he was spinning it, he's throw a little gooy fit.. lol, Gotta love em!
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Aww, what a cute story!! I probably wont buy the tunnels now either, b/c of how expensive they are, but hey x-mas and my b-day are right around the corner!!!

I am going to petco today in acouple of hours, first b/c they are having their constume contest and that is always cute to go see (my sheltie pup would be gooing to if he didn't go phyco and start barking and growling and the other dogs. He thinks he a big toughy, but if other dogs take 2 steos toward himhe backs away wining!!) Second, I want to see what chin., ferret,etc. stuff they have. I am at a friends house petsitting right now, so I have some extra money to spend.

I want to get some sand paper to put on some of the ramps in the cage, so that way it wares their toenails down, is this a good idea? I thought it would also protect their feet from the wire.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mine all spin the wheels and its soooooo cute to watch Whats worse is when ones in the wheel and the other tries to spin it with the other going round ends up in disaster everytime

Regards sandpaper i've heard of people using this before and while is does help wear the nails down somewhat but it usually ends up chewed up over night so something to be aware of

Kirsty

post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle View Post
Mine all spin the wheels and its soooooo cute to watch Whats worse is when ones in the wheel and the other tries to spin it with the other going round ends up in disaster everytime
haha, yes! I forgot about that

I've been trying to figure out how to wear down their nails too, that sounds like a good idea... But I think I'd only leave it on there for a short time so it's not too rough on their little pads..
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I use rocks and pumice stones in my cages, they both help wear the nails down and keep them short

Kirsty

post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 PM

The sandpaper seems like a scary idea to me. I'd be afraid it would hurt their sensitive little feet.

I also use rocks and pumice stones in there, and that has taken care of the nails beautifully!

Tags
bird toys, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, carefresh bedding, chew toy, chew toys, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dog bed, dried pine, dried pine shavings, dwarf hamster, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig food, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, level cage, litter box, nesting material, pet owner, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, pig food, pine bedding, pine shavings, timothy hay, wire cage, wire mesh