trying to find baby degu breeder in NC - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

trying to find baby degu breeder in NC

Hello everyone,
My husband and I have kept rats for 15 years. We just lost 2 to cancer (again!) recently. I was told about the long life span and social behavior of degus by a friend recently. My husband and I watched about 100 youtube videos and read about their care and we are in love! I am having a very hard time finding breeders however. We live in Creedmoor, NC (very near both Durham and Raleigh, NC). We also visit our family in Columbus, OH about once a month.
Thanks so much,
Krista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Rodentologist

Instead of buying from a breeder, why not rescue some degus in need?

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17432900

There are two large small animal rescues in the central NC area.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Jennicat-- I would, but not having any experience with them and having a 5 year old daughter, we would love to start with babies. A lot of the information said that they are much more attached if you raise them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Rodentologist

I guess I'm biased since I rescue, but I've never dealt with a species I had an issue forming attachments to just because they weren't wee bitty babies. In fact, I find most prey animals a lot easier to deal with when they're adults since babies tend to be small, fast, and difficult (or even dangerous) for children to hold.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

You are right. All of our dogs and cats are rescues. They are much better pets that way, I think they know. I have rescued adult rats in the past and loved them as much. They were wonderful pets. I will definitely look at adoption. Have you ever known a Degu to bite? Of the 20 or so rats I have lived with, none have ever truely bitten. The gerbils I had as a teenager did bite (very hard!) sometimes!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Rodentologist

Any animal with teeth will bite! Probably the best bet is to contact the rescue directly to get more information on the individual animals. I've been bitten by pretty much every small pet at some point -- rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, sugar gliders, hamsters, chinchillas, even parakeets! Anything will bite given the right set of circumstances.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfishthreads View Post
You are right. All of our dogs and cats are rescues. They are much better pets that way, I think they know. I have rescued adult rats in the past and loved them as much. They were wonderful pets. I will definitely look at adoption. Have you ever known a Degu to bite? Of the 20 or so rats I have lived with, none have ever truely bitten. The gerbils I had as a teenager did bite (very hard!) sometimes!
Any animal can bite. Degus aren't too prone to biting but it's still a possibility, especially with young degus who aren't used to you yet. Most people get bitten by degus when trying to hold them--degus don't like being held tightly and some get freaked out and bite/scratch. I never hold new degus, I just let them come to me on their own terms or use a container to scoop them up.

I'm not going to lie, degu bites can be pretty painful. I've handled a lot of small animals (including larger animals like rabbits) and my worst bite was from a degu (spiny mice get second place, hehe). Thankfully degu bites are rare (probably slightly more likely than a rat bite but less likely than a hamster bite) but it's something to always be prepared for .

I noticed you mentioned a 5-year-old. I would be cautious letting her handle the degus since young kids have a tendency to hold animals tightly or awkwardly. Degus are quick to let people know if they don't like the way they're being held. I'm sure she'll be fine playing with the degus, feeding them, petting them, etc. I just wouldn't let her hold one until they're really used to handling. If you end up with babies, I wouldn't let her handle them at all. Baby degus are pretty much nuts . They're very hyper and curious. Most degus just want to explore when they're young and aren't always receptive to human attention until they've matured. I've had a few degus who were friendly but I couldn't handle them at all for the first year. Then they calmed down and became snuggly .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Newborn Pup

Have Degu's for adoption.

I have 2 female Degu's that are 10 mom old and I would be willing to give them to you. I am unable to keep them and need to find them a home ASAP
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Wow. Where do you live? We won't be ready for them for 2-3 months though. We need to build a cage and we still have one rat left that has a mammary tumor also as large as she is! Our house is smaller enough that I really don't want two rodent cages next to eachother. Very great offer though if you can hold onto them. How friendly are they?
Krista
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks Stephanie for all you information. Maybe we should be looking at older degus. I guess I was thinking of them like I do baby rats.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Newborn Pup

We were in Augusta Georiga. We have recently moved to SC. In Georgia they are illegal and we rescued them from a kill shelter. If we send them back to the shleter the will be killed. They come with a cage and everything. We really can't wait 2 -3 months. I have Bengal cats and we have to have them Degu's isolated so we do not get to give them the attention that they need. The longer they do not get socialized the worse I fear for them.

Tags
baby, breeder, degu, degus, north carolina