Ummmm! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Question Ummmm!

For the last few days I have noticed that Jimmy has been losing fur on his back.. I have been keeping an eye on it, but today I took him to my vets.. I asked whether it could be mites, an allergy, stress or the girls being a bit rough with him.. My vet was unsure and suggested I try and bathe it with salt water for a few days and see what happens..
Do you think this is the right thing to do?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Part of the Pack

Eh? thats a new one on me! Salt water? I was under the impression that degus shouldn't really be bathed!!?? I'm not too sure about that!

Mine have had periods of time where they're lost a bit of fur. I put it donw to mites/over eager grooming/playing. I've used "On the Spot" treatment for small animals (available from most places.. including supermarkets sometimes)... a few drops on the back of the neck on all of them. That helps with any mites without being too nasty and strong. poor little degus look a bit soggy for a day though!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Personally i think it could be from him moulting his summer coat as Herbie was looking rather bald on his neck the other week which has since grown back but there was fur being cast everywhere by all of them so its definately moulting time of the year so he could be looking a little bald due to that. Is it sore at all for him or doesn't it bother him? I'd keep an eye on him see if theres any sign of regrowth and if not the salt water won't hurt him at all! In fact if there was an infection of any kind thinking of appearing it would kill it as salt waters good for all kinds of cuts and sores. And you aren't bathing him as such your just wetting a little piece of cotton wool so its just damp and then wriping the infected area with it so your vet is correct in that respect. Normally you use tepid water for the job and a teaspoon maximum of salt to one cup. I think its more than likely the time of year for moulting and with a little over eager grooming from the girls its resulted in Jimmy looking a little bald Keep us posted on how the little guy is doing

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks Sammy and Kirsty for your comments.. I did think it could be moulting, but he has a big patch and I was getting worried.. I will keep up with the salt water for a few days and see how it goes.. If I can get a pic I will, but he never stays still long enough!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well it hasnt got any worse in size but is looking a bit dry, so I have started to put a thin layer of Vaseline on the skin to moisturise it.. Do you think that is ok to do?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The salt water is probably drying Jimmy's skin up so i'd stop using that for now and see if it improves any with just the moisturisation. I think you are doing the right thing moisturising it as it will encourage the fur to grow back by softening up the skin and leaving the hair follicles open. I don't think a little vaseline would hurt aslong as its completely absorbed, you could also try some E45 cream as well or a very mild moisturiser such as the stuff used on babies as all good aslong as they are fully absorbed

Kirsty

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks for your reply Kirsty! I am still using the salt water and it seems ok.. I will keep you informed...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 02:39 AM
Part of the Pack

Glad its getting better! I'd agree about using E45 cream! But whatever you use, make sure its not scented....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 04:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Thanks for your reply Kirsty! I am still using the salt water and it seems ok.. I will keep you informed...
The salt water will most probably be the thing drying his skin up as its drawing mositure to the surface to encourage healing (thats why its good on open wounds ) and in turn its probably dried his skin out a little too. I'd maybe ask your vet to see if you should stop using it now as its been a week so should be ok to stop i should think!? I'd definately continue with the moisturising as it will soften his skin up and encourage hair growth so he should be back to his old self very soon

Kirsty

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 08-31-2005 at 04:47 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks guys.. Well I used the salt water today probably for the last time, and will continue with the vaseline for a few days.. Good news is that Jimmy has a bit of stubble growing, so I am a very happy mummy indeed!
Jimmy says thanks too...

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Part of the Pack

Forgot to tell you - I found a tea tree skin irritant soothing cream for small animals (made by johnsons) in the pet shop yesterday! It was with the small animal shampoos/mite sprays etc...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww thats great news, Jimmy will soon be back to his handsome self in no time

Kirsty

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
Forgot to tell you - I found a tea tree skin irritant soothing cream for small animals (made by johnsons) in the pet shop yesterday! It was with the small animal shampoos/mite sprays etc...
Thanks Sam, I will look out for it, incase I need it in the future!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
aaaawwwww thats great news, Jimmy will soon be back to his handsome self in no time
Thanks Kirsty!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

*Update*.. I got some of the mite shampoo, thanks Sam.. Jimmys fur has grown back, but another section is now losing fur.. I think Jeri is over doing the grooming!

Tags
pet shop