Underpaw Injury - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Underpaw Injury

One of our girls seems to have lost her fur under her left paw. We think it might have been during a fight with the "dominant" squirrel in the cage over the food bowl or by digging on the side of the cage with the stairs to the lower level. She's still acting like a normal hyper degu, stuffing herself with treats and normal food. She even runs a million miles an hour on the saucer. I'm just wondering if the fur will totally grow back? We didn't notice the injury until we had her out and she was streaching for a treat on her hind legs with her forepaws extended to reach it. Is this something that I should take her the vet to for treatment? The other girls are not scratching themselves a lot, so we know its not fleas or mites. We don't have any other animals in the house and we don't take them outside. I must sound like such an overcautious parent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:21 PM

If it's from an injury and not something else, I think she should be just fine. Both of my boys have had paw injuries at some point (usually scratches from each other) and they usually look pretty bad at first but within a day or two, you'd never even know anything happened. Degus seems almost surreal with the way they heal sometimes. As long as it's not bothering her or it doesn't look infected, I think she should be fine I'm certainly not an expert though so I would just use your judgement. I'm not sure about the fur growing back, my boys have only lost a little bit of fur at a time and it has always grown back.

Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If it isn't a cut and is just the fur i wouldn't worry too much. If it is a cut a little tepid water on cotton wool would help to keep it clean once or twice a day also keeping an eye on it would help too. But if it is just the fur then she will be fine. The fur will grow back fine but if you want to speed things up and help the healing process along then a little unscented baby moisturiser, oil of evening primrose moisturiser or E45 cream (if you have it over there) rubbed in well once a day will help soften the skin and encourage fur to regrow

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll try that.

Tags
food bowl, hind legs