Update on Skippy - sick and dehydrated! - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Jird Jostler

Aww i am so glad to hear that he is getting better.
xxxxxx

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 PM

/._.\ You're both in my heart. *big hug*
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:32 PM

What great progress! Oh yes, I feel the same way - you get so excited to see them do their normal things again. Really makes you feel good. It is funny how excited you get just seeing them drink again, or make a normal poo. lol (Mana's poos got weird for a while there when she wasn't eating regular food.)

He is a hard worker, just like you, and the two of you really make a great team together! It's clear neither one of you is planning on giving up any time soon, you must be kindred spirits!

I'm so glad to hear the good report! I have been thinking about little Skippy the Snack Stealer. I always think about him when I look at little Miss Mana. We'll have a little Degu party tonight to celebrate Skippy's improvement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Skippy was doing so well on Monday and Tuesday but then yesterday he took a step back. He spent the entire day sleeping and didn't even want to eat treats. So far today's been the same. I'm all upset and worried again.

We went to the vet today and he said that since several antibiotics didn't work for him it's probably not pneumonia but could be related to a hearth disease . He put him on a diuretic medicine to see if that gets the water out of his lungs. Apparently when the hearth is not working correctly they can get water in their lungs. That's why the symptoms mimic pneumonia. He also said that the only way to properly diagnose him would be doing something like an EKG for people. He would have to be sedated which would pose a risk for an animal with a hearth condition. Also, he's not sure if there is a vet in the area that would do it on such small animal. Finally, it would also be very expensive (he said at least $500).

I'm supposed to give him the medicine and monitor him for a week. Then we'll see if his symptoms improved and will go from there . It's so hard...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michelle and Karolína

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP Skippy, I will love you forever!
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Aaawww, I am so sorry to hear about this setback! How disappointing!

Is he staying on the antibiotics still, or did you take him off? I do think it's very normal to have progress, and then suffer setbacks when fighting something like this. But it seems like the vet would probably have a better feel for what's going on with Skippy.

I wish I could do or say something to help more. I hope he'll show some progress during this next week. We're still sending you both lots of hugs and kisses!
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I gave him his last dose of the antibiotics this morning before the appointment and the vet said to discontinue them. He was concerned that they make Skippy drowsy and decrease his appetite while clearly not working for him.

Thanks for the kind words (also Georgia and Garuru). I wish he could just tell me what bothers him. At least the vet said that if it is a hearth problem it can be managed and it shouldn't cause him pain except for having troubles breathing. I guess we just have to wait and see. My poor little goo...

Michelle and Karolína

post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hmm, for some reason I don't see the button to edit my posts... Anyway, I just noticed that in the post when I'm describing today's vet visit I actually wrote "hearth" instead of "heart" . I'm not sure if the house hearth could affect Skippy's heart somehow, perhaps by keeping him warm...hmm, that's a thought, lol . A lot of times when I type and I'm filled with emotions my fingers just write whatever they want and as long as it comes out as a real word my eyes don't register it. But I can spell, I swear .

Skippy drank some water on his own this afternoon so that's good. He also ate a treat (almond). We even played a little bit. I put a big towel on our bed and let him out. He settled for sitting on my lower back (I was on my stomach, reading a book) and took pleasure in chewing my shorts, lol! I don't know what that chewing is all about. I realized that he even tries to chew the syringe every time I feed him! And I though he was enthusiastic to get more of the formula . But whatever, it still makes feeding easier! Now he's resting in his hammock. Aww, he looks so sweet!

Here's a picture of him snacking on his almond . He looks very puffy here. You can also see where he chewed off the fur from his paws.

Michelle and Karolína

post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 PM

Aaawww, he looks really handsome - even though he might not be feeling his best!

You're right - he has chewed all that fur off his little hands. That is really funny. Probably from not feeling good. I don't know if he has a runny nose at all, but if he's wiping his nose with his hands, that might be part of the trouble. Or, he may have just decided to chew the fur off. You never can tell with a Degu! lol

I know he cherished your evening together every bit as much as you did! And what a yummy treat!

I'm so glad he took a little drink on his own! That's something positive. And it's good that he actually wanted his supplement. I think those are both very good things. My heart really goes out to him, and to you too.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Just checking in to see how Skippy is doing. Any more progress?
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Jird Jostler

Aww he looks so handsome in that picture! I hope he gets better!

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww im sorry to hear he's reached a plateau. he will rise above it. degus are such strong and stubborn little creatures! best wishes for a full recovery

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I haven't posted because I wasn't exactly sure what to post. Skippy is sort of stuck at this medium stage. He looks fine, eats a little on his own (I'm still feeding him the formula) and even runs around the room when we let him out at night. But the breathing problem is still there. I don't know what to do with him. Every visit to the doctor's office is so stressful for him, and I feel like the meds didn't get him anywhere. I decided that I am not going to go forward with the heart testing. If he does have a sick heart then unfortunately there is not much vets could do for such a little guy anyway. This is horrible to say but if he does have a condition then who knows how long he will still be here? I don't want him to spend the rest of his life going to the doctor's all the time . He hates it there, he's terrified and I'm just not sure if it's worth it. Plus, it would require anesthesia and there is a big risk he wouldn't wake up.

I'm supposed to bring him in for another check-up later this week. I'm going to call the doctor before and ask him what else he would recommend. You know, if he says to take him off the medicine and see how he does he can tell me this over the phone and there's no need to stress Skippy with another visit.

I just don't want him to suffer because I love him so much. As you know I will be moving with him soon (as of now it's 1-2 months away) and he will have to travel on the plane. So maybe it would be good for him to get a little bit of stress-free rest for now. I will have to bring him in before the flight anyway to get a health certificate. We'll just have to wait and see how he does. Like I said, as long as he's not in pain...

Michelle and Karolína

post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Aaawww! I am sending MAJOR ((((((((((((((((((((( hugs ))))))))))))))))))))))))) your way!

Poor little Skippy. You're right though, if the vet visits upset him so much, it might be better for him to just stay home and rest up. I imagine you're right too about not being able to do much for a heart condition. They might put him on some meds for it, but they would probably be the same meds you've got him on right now.

It's so hard to know what to do in these kinds of situations. The good thing is that he isn't getting worse right now. It doesn't seem very positive when you are wanting to see forward momentum, though. But not getting worse is good.

You're taking GREAT care of him, and even though it's hard to think about what the future may bring, I know you have his best interests at heart. I think you are doing a great job with him, and thinking more of him than yourself when making these tough decisions.

I wish I could say something that would make you and Skippy feel better, as words can only do so much. Please know you're both staying in my heart and in my thoughts. You are taking great care of him, and I know that Skippy knows that. If he could talk he would tell you: "Thank you for being such a wonderful Mum!"
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww dude, i'm sorry you're both stuck in this situation. but i agree with you, he's not in pain that you know of, i'd do the same thing. vets tend to stress animals out, so many smells, so i totally agree with you

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

MañasMom - thank you, your words are very kind and encouraging. They give me hope. You're right that at least he's not getting worse. I'm trying to do my best to take care of him. I really wish he could talk and tell mommy what's wrong . The least I can do for him is keeping his water bottle warm, he loves it. He makes these little chirping sounds every time I change the water in it to let me know how much he likes it!

Mulder - thank you, I'm glad you agree that not wanting to drag him to the vet's office all the time is the right thing to do.

Skippy doesn't look so good today, he's been very sleepy. He didn't even want any treats. Even when I pick him up he just rests in my arm while usually he climbs all over me. I hope it's because of the weather (the temperature dropped down to 50 from 75 a few days ago and it's been raining the entire day). I'll definitely keep you posted. I think I'll call the vet on Wednesday and then just take it from there.

Michelle and Karolína

Tags
food bowl, health certificate, heating pad, litter box, vet visit, vet visits