Vasectomy vs. castrating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Vasectomy vs. castrating

Hey all I am the "owner" of 2 deguses, which just had babies, three days ago. They had six, beautifull, lovely babies, all survived and they are starting to get very active I would like to keep the whole family together and my plan is to put the guys through vasetomy, so that they can live together. But. Will the guys still be fighting then, will I have to seperate them at some point? What if they get castrated and don`t have the sexual urge, will they still be fighting then? I have to make a desiccion real soon, does anybody have experience in keeping a whole family together? Is it possible? Thank you for any advice.

Rgs,

Trinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 AM

im not sure cause ive never done this
hopefully someone here can give you better advice
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Firstly have you removed the father from birth? The reason i ask is because if you haven't there is a 50/50 chance the mother maybe pregnant again as the female comes into season straight after giving birth and unless you remove the father for a few days its more then likely they will have bred again.

Regards the neutering as far as i know they only do a vasectomy like op on male degus and you have to keep the males and females apart for upto 8 weeks to make sure the op has been successful and they have healed properly. You will then need to introduce them to each other again in a neutral area and see if they will reaccept one another. This sort of procedure doesn't take away the urge as far as i know it just stops the reprocusions. I.e the pitter patter of tiny feet

How many males are there? Dependent upon the boy to girl ratio its hard to say some degus are more peaceful then others and every situation is different. I wouldn't personally advise it if there are more then 2 males as it will put the ratio out and you could risk fighting and upset and a break down of the hierarchy. You also need to consider that an operation on such a small animal is a risk. You have a few weeks to think about it, make your decision once you know how many of each sex you have

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi again Thank you very much for your replies. Yes, the father has been removed. I was hoping to be able to keep them all together, so I`ll have to figure out how many boys and girls there are. They are only 5 days old, so I wont know until a couple of weeks have passed. I have to do some thinking conserning the vas., I`m starting to think that I`ll maybe separate the girls and boys. Thanks for all help
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You can put dad back in now if you want as he will help bring the pups up, you will just need to keep an eye on him for a day or two

Personally i would seperate the males and females if there is enough of each sex to make sure there isn't a lone degu

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 02:43 AM

I agree with Kirsty, I would probably keep a Male cage and a female cage. Less problems that way.

Congratulations on the new litter
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 PM

Congrats on your new babies!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you all The babies are doing fine and are growing rapidly. I have decided to keep the boys and the father and give the girls and the mother to my aunt. Sad... I still have no idea how many girls/boys there are. They are only 2,5 weeks old. Patience is a virtue... hehe. But I can`t wait to hold them! They have taken food from my hand though Have a wonderful day.

Rgs,

Trinity.

Tags
doing fine